Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Playground staining feet problem

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Playground staining feet problem

Postby pinkfootperroquet » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:01 pm

Recently, for Christmas, my aunt got my conure an acrobird playground. It came colored red, and today, I allowed my conure to play on it. After I prepared him some treats, I noticed my fingers were stained pink by something, but thought nothing of it. My bird spent some time on it, and when it came time for him to leave, he and I left for his cage.
He loves being flipped over onto his back, and often, when it gets late, he likes to be carried like that. But when I flipped him over, his feet were also stained bright pink. I rubbed the perch of his playground and nothing happened, but when I dipped a spot of water on it and tried my finger came out pink.
So the playground stained his feet pink. Is this dangerous for him? Can he continue to use this playground? I thought to look here for answers since I couldn’t find them anywhere else.
pinkfootperroquet
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheeked conure, budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Playground staining feet problem

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:14 am

Well, I doubt anybody can answer that question because we don't know whether what was used to stain the playground was safe or not. And it all comes down to that, doesn't it? Usually, manufacturers use safe stains - or, at least, one would like to think so. But, in reality, one doesn't know because manufacturers can claim pretty much anything when it comes to animals food and other articles without any fear of punishment even if it is an outright lie (the industry is completely unregulated and PIJAC makes sure it stays that way!). It's very rare that I buy anything commercially done for my birds but, when I do, it's usually something I know it's safe so my table stand is not colored at all and the perch is actually a manzanita branch. Try soaking it in hot water so you can get as much of the stain out as you can and see if it still stains after that. Or throw it away...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Housing