Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cake and cage volume

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Cake and cage volume

Postby CaketheParrot » Tue May 19, 2020 10:40 am

Hi everyone :) I’m not sure this is the right place to post this, so apologies in advance, but we tried to maximize our african gray parrot’s space by putting two cages together and leaving both doors open so he can come and go as he pleases. However, he seems a bit scared to climb into the second cage even though it’s a bit more spacious and has more textured perches and branches. From what I’ve read of parrot nature, it seems unlikely he only wants a little room. We also haven’t gotten to the point where he’s ready to step up so we can’t help him in the cage to show that it’s okay. What should we do?
Thanks and love from Cake :gray:
CaketheParrot
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: African Gray, Finch, Canary
Flight: Yes

Re: Cake and cage volume

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 19, 2020 10:58 am

Welcome to the forum! Well, the best way to make a parrot do anything is to tempt him with food so I think that if you put a bowl with a couple of his high value items in the 'other' cage and wait him out, he will, eventually go into it. Grays dislike changes and new things but they are also very smart and, if you give him enough time, he will figure out is safe to go into the new cage.

But, unless I misunderstood your post, having two cages side-by-side does not really offer him more room - it's like having two small rooms instead of a large one. When one talks about a species adequate size for a cage, it always means one LARGE cage... couldn't you take the two cages apart and make one out of the two by removing a 'side wall' of both and joining them together?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby CaketheParrot » Tue May 19, 2020 11:32 am

Hi @pajarita (is tagging a thing in here), thank you for your advice and your welcome! We’ll definitely try putting some food in the second cage. As for combining them, they’re unfortunately just not compatible. I hadn’t thought of two small rooms not being as good as one big room, so thank you for pointing that out. I guess it’s time to look at bigger cages. See you!

Thanks from Cake :gray:
CaketheParrot
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 20, 2020 8:40 am

Glad I could be of help. Look for used cages in CL - if you look all the time and are very careful, you can find real good deals there (one of my very best large cages is from CL and I only paid $60 for it!). And, no, there is no tagging here... We might not be up to date with all the new technological advances but offer solid advice :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby CaketheParrot » Thu May 21, 2020 11:14 am

Yes, you definitely have great advice! Sorry for being a parrot noob but what does CL stand for?
CaketheParrot
Lovebird

Postby Navre » Thu May 21, 2020 12:13 pm

Craigslist
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby CaketheParrot » Thu May 21, 2020 3:06 pm

Ohhhhh. Yeah we don’t have Craigslist, and I don’t think my parents would want it. I feel like I should just throw out there: the birds are my uncle’s, I just like hanging out with them and spoiling them on their birthdays. But yeah, we’ll look for a cage on Amazon and stuff. Thanks again!
CaketheParrot
Lovebird

Postby Savage Sturgis » Sat May 23, 2020 11:29 pm

I think that is a very good suggestion. But when I did, it seemed that my parrot was not paying much attention. I saw it come and stand there for a few seconds and then return. You think I need to do something more or need more time for it
Savage Sturgis
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 24, 2020 8:27 am

Hi, Savage, I am afraid that I do not understand your question - and you don't mention what kind of parrot you have.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Housing