Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Homemade Acrylic/Plexiglass cages

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Homemade Acrylic/Plexiglass cages

Postby banuvatt » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:58 pm

I thought that galvanized hardware cloth was made from steel not aluminum. I heard that aluminum is the only metal besides stainless steel that is safe for birds. Plain steel is only dangerous because of the possibility of rust.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't own any birds currently.
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:23 am

Yes, regular wire mesh is made out of steel but not stainless steel, just regular steel. And, because regular steel rusts (A LOT), they coat it through a galvanization process with zinc or with PVC. There are also aluminum and plastic meshes, too. The cheap and common wire mesh -like the one used for chicken coops, for example- is the galvanized one. The aluminum one is more expensive because it's more flexible and doesn't rust - but it does oxidize (which is the 'dark' that appears on the surface and needs to be scrubbed off because it's toxic - something very hard to do with a mesh)

Regular steel is made out of iron and carbon while stainless steel is iron with chromium and some other stuff I now forget.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby banuvatt » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:17 pm

The PVC coated wire mesh I imagine would be okay with non parrots like passerines or pigeons/doves. Since parrots are notorious chewers while a PVC pipe for them may be extremely hard to chew if not impossible. A wire mesh one there's definitely a chance of them chewing/ingesting it because of how small it is so they could get their beaks around it.

This is what I found on aluminum "Aluminum is also a safe metal. It doesn’t rust like iron or steel, but instead corrodes into aluminum oxide, a grayish white substance that is powdery in appearance. Unlike rust, aluminum oxide is non-toxic when ingested or handled." This is the link to where I got the information https://birdtricksstore.com/blogs/birdt ... %20handled.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:40 am

I do not trust anything that is put out by the bird industry. Period. See this:

https://www.dermaglide.com/aluminum-oxi ... h-hazards/
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby banuvatt » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:49 am

Thank you for sharing that information with me, I'll sure to only use stainless steel. I read to prevent steel wire mesh that had the galvanizing removed from rusting to paint over it with a bird safe paint such as Rust-oleum or Kylon not sure how true that is though.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:45 am

You do not need to do anything to stainless steel - no paint, no stripping, no washing, no nothing - it's good as it is as long as it's stainless steel and not regular steel.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby banuvatt » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:07 am

If I made you kind of confused I am sorry I was talking about if I were to use bare steel then I would have to paint it.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Previous

Return to Housing