Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cleaning metal and perches

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Cleaning metal and perches

Postby cstone01 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:19 pm

Is There a way to clean the metal corrosion on perches/ toy clips? I have some corrosion on stuff near water dishes. It’s not severe yet but it’s starting. Should it be just replaced? I’m sure I can’t put CLR or anything on it... can it be cleaned with olive oil? That’s what I use to get rust off figure skates. I know metal posioning is dangerous and I can replace things but one of the natural wood perches is his absolute favorite out of so many perches no matter where I place it... could I replace the metal components?

I was also wondering about antler perches. I received a lot of really nice shed antlers from a friend with a ranch. I was thinking about cutting the points and drilling to make perches. Would there be any problem with this? I have whole antlers and the cut on half ones like you give dogs with the softer inner matrix exposed. Would this type make a good perch or toy portions? Should I sanitize first? They spent a season in a barn.
cstone01
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, Major Mitchell
Flight: Yes

Re: Cleaning metal and perches

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:21 am

I'll be honest with you, I have no idea what to use on corrosion or rust. Whenever one of my cages or water bowl clips gets any rust, I get a new one. And I only use natural tree branches as perches simply because it's the best (most natural) material for them, they are free and easily available (I get them from my backyard or the side of the road). Tree branches offer many benefits over other materials: they have bark which the birds love to 'peel' and wears down their nails naturally as well as offering a nice 'rough' surface for them to wipe their beak on. They are not completely rigid so the impact on their joints is very little. They have different diameters, are not perfectly cylindrical and hardly ever can be placed perfectly parallel to the floor so they exercise their toes, feet and leg muscles. Nothing compares to tree branches! It's what they evolved to use. I would recommend you use them instead of any other material.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Housing