Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Can a cage be too big?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Can a cage be too big?

Postby Adamrhh » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:51 am

Michael wrote:Is there ever a parrot cage that is too big? What makes a cage the perfect size? How can you tell if a cage is too small? Can a parrot "outgrow" a cage if not physically then mentally?

That's a very good question and you know in my opinion I think that there is such thing as a cage being "Too big" saying this take let's say if we have a smaller parrot like a Caique inside a Macaw cage with the bar spacing there could be a little "confusion" but as far as it hurting the bird I don't see why that would be, The Caique would most likely Adapt and have no problems.

What makes a cage the perfect size?
If your bird and can fully stretch out and is able to get good movement and does not look cramped. I find that as long as your bird is out a lot and has plenty of out-cage play the cage "perfectness" becomes a little unknown as he will do all his rough house playing outside and sleep inside.

How can you tell if a cage is too small?
Well of course the cage can be too small if you are talking about you might "think" it's too small or the fact that you want a African Grey to go inside a Love bird cage. If you are just thinking it's too small see how the bird does in it if he looks like hes comfy then there's no big issue think of it as "Have I outgrown my bed?"

Can a parrot "outgrow" a cage if not physically then mentally?
Physically yes, Mentally I am going to have to say Yes and a little No the cage is the birds "home" so take it as your old child hood home your going to love it. I really wouldn't worry about it outgrowing the cage itself but the toys inside it as long as you rotate the toys and change them every so often it'll see the new toy as a new friend.

I hope I helped and your my #1 post. If you have questions message me. Or you are always open to email me Adamrhh@yahoo.com
If you have any questions about Quaker Parrots or birds in general send me a message I will try to help.
Adamrhh
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker
Flight: No

Postby Java » Tue May 11, 2010 7:21 am

My Senegal is in a 24 x 22 x 36 inch (just cage area, but add on wheels and play gym up top, it is probably double that), huge white cage with a gym on top. I asked lady at pet shop what he needed and this is what she sold me. I do love it though, so easy to clean and he has plenty of room in there. There are slots for 4 or more bowls for food and plenty of room for toys. I do find he stays pretty much on his perch though and does not use much of the space in there yet.

I also measured the space in between bars, and his cage has 1 inch between bars.
Java
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Jenday Conure
Flight: No

Postby lzver » Tue May 11, 2010 7:37 am

Both Lucy and Jessie are in cages that are 18 x 18 x 62. Jessie uses every square inch of his cage and Lucy not so much. When we first got Lucy and Jessie space where we lived was certainly a concern - so we got them the biggest cages we had room for. Now that we're in a house it isn't so much of a concern.

They both get time out on top of their cages each day - more on weekends than during the week though. We're slowly introducing the new playgym to both birds. Lucy is getting curious and checking it out. Jessie is still scared and flys back to me or his cage whenever I put him on it. Once I'm finished studying for the exam I have this weekend, I'm going to work on conditioning him to the play stand.

I'm saving up for cages that are 26 x 26 with play tops and hope to be able to find a good deal in the fall at a couple of bird shows/conferences. I'm also keeping my eye open for a place that has good deals on larger cages for the bird I decide to get next year.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers
Flight: Yes

Postby HyperD » Tue May 11, 2010 3:10 pm

Adamrhh wrote:let's say if we have a smaller parrot like a Caique inside a Macaw cage with the bar spacing there could be a little "confusion" but as far as it hurting the bird I don't see why that would be

Firstly that's a long first post!

I believe the danger is that the parrot could stick its head through the bar and not able to get it out. The parrot would panic, go mad and god knows what would happen to the poor thing in it's struggle to get out.
HyperD
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby miajag » Tue May 11, 2010 3:16 pm

Generally speaking, I think the answer is no, as long as the bar spacing is correct. Though, I have read that cockatiels in particular sometimes are very uncomfortable in large cages and prefer small (though not too small), cozier ones.
miajag
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar

Postby skeetersunconure » Tue May 11, 2010 3:22 pm

Michael wrote:You really think 18x18 is too small? My Senegal lives in a 18x18x36 cage and seems to to just fine with it. She definitely spends time out of the cage daily.

my sun conure has the exact same cage as you michael (i saw it on your youtube) and he is fine in it he doesent even use the bottom of it really:)
-Eva :danicing:
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Previous

Return to Housing