Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Reliable US vendors?(need a cage for a rehomed CAG)

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Reliable US vendors?(need a cage for a rehomed CAG)

Postby Rrrma » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:14 pm

I've never actually purchased a cage. We are a big bird family and always seem to have(or a friend has) an extra laying around in someone's house that is the appropriate size for the bird in need, or they come with their cage(my eclectus and amazon came with theirs).

But now I am in the market for a cage for a CAG. She was a breeder bird that was kept in a homemade chicken wire cage suspended from the ceiling, with a breeder box and a single wooden dowel perch.

Needless to say, she is having a hard time with the new cage life. I tried her in an appropriate parrot cage and she had a hard time making it around on the bars, so she just sat there. I then went on the hunt intown for something that might be easier, with no luck. I was almost at the point of just making her a cage, but I know that wouldn't have fixed it. She had low muscle tone in her feet and has a hard time on perches(or hands/arms) of various size.

I ended up trying her in a macaw sized travel cage(like this one) with added rope perches and although she had a rough start, she has gotten MUCH better in the 3 weeks I have had her.

I want to keep her in something roughly the same length and width, but more height. She seems to fit this really well, and even the height on it isn't bad, but more room to climb about would be better.

I'm working around 3 other parrot cages and some storage, so I'm thinking 32x20 would be the max I could go, height doesn't matter.

As I mentioned I looked in town. All I could find was what Petsmart and Petco usually keep in their stores(which wasn't nearly big enough). Does anyone know of good online stores to buy from? I'm not much of an online shopper, but I think I'll have to go that way for her cage.
Sara, birdma to
Rosie(9), Vosmaeri Eclectus
Hardy(20+), Lilac Crown Amazon
Norma(14), Congo African Grey
Trinity(3) and Ginger(1), Normal Grey and White-faced Cinnamon Cockatiels
Rrrma
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Vosmaeri Eclectus, Lilac Crown Amazon, Congo African Grey, and 2 cockatiels(a normal grey and a white faced cinnamon)
Flight: Yes

Re: Reliable US vendors?(need a cage for a rehomed CAG)

Postby ptuga72 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:51 pm

Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)
Flight: No

Re: Reliable US vendors?(need a cage for a rehomed CAG)

Postby TheNzJessie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:54 am

hi there, its good to hear you have taken on the bird and are trying to give her a better life, do you have a price limit? because if not i would go for one of the aluminum cages off kings cages last forever and would be a good size

its also free shipping which is a bonus
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Return to Housing