Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Sleep huts for a female Sun Conure?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Sleep huts for a female Sun Conure?

Postby Ashley » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:10 pm

Hi guys,

I was about to buy a sleep hut for the female sun conure I will be bringing home in a few days (8 months old), but was told that she may want to lay eggs if I get her one? I was told it would be like a "nest" to her... The breeder who has her currently says she sleeps in one every night, so I thought it would be a great idea. What do you guys think?

Also, have any of you purchased anything from Parrotdise Perch? I'm thinking of getting some toys etc, but I'm a little nervous about purchasing online.

Thanks everyone!
Ashley
Parrotlet

Flight: No

Re: Sleep huts for a female Sun Conure?

Postby lainmai » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:51 pm

Ashley wrote:Hi guys,

I was about to buy a sleep hut for the female sun conure I will be bringing home in a few days (8 months old), but was told that she may want to lay eggs if I get her one? I was told it would be like a "nest" to her... The breeder who has her currently says she sleeps in one every night, so I thought it would be a great idea. What do you guys think?

Also, have any of you purchased anything from Parrotdise Perch? I'm thinking of getting some toys etc, but I'm a little nervous about purchasing online.

Thanks everyone!

some people have problems with "nesting" and others do not. It really depends on the bird, its age, and a million other factors (some females don't lay eggs at all).

I've not ordered anything online as of yet from Parrotdise Perch but I did stop by their store to buy things. I don't think you have anything to worry about when it comes to buying things from them! They were very nice at the store and knew their stuff ;)
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal
Flight: Yes

Postby Giantmoa » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:34 pm

my gcc adores her sleeping hut! I don't really know whether my bird is a male or a female but I moniter for signs of hormones anyways. My late cockatiel laid eggs only because she was bonded to my dad and he would pet her inapropriately and unknowingly stimulated her urge to breed :? we never had a hut for her though. I'd say that for most conures, a sleeping hut is a good cage addition... but that has just been my experience with my conure :)
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby TheNzJessie » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:13 am

i have always used them for my rainbow lorikeets, im pretty sure my first rainbow was a girl and she never laid eggs, but there was that slight chance she could be a he, not sure it probably depends on what type of bird she is and so on. if shes has one right now i would get one to help her settle in, if you notice any behavior thats not normal eg being aggressive or possessive over the hut take it out
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby skeetersunconure » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:14 am

i use this one for my sunconure
BPV1163.jpg
BPV1163.jpg (8.21 KiB) Viewed 10193 times
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby Ashley » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:29 am

Thanks for all the great replies everyone! I think I will get her one so she can settle in a little easier. We purchased a nice cage (32" X 21" X 35") from Parrotdise Perch, as well as about 200$ in toys and perches etc. Hopefully she likes it all! Were having her stay with us for the day this Wednesday, so I'm very excited about that. I attached a picture of her, unfortunately you cant see her beautiful tail because I had to crop the photo in order to upload it. But she's still very beautiful!
Ashley
Parrotlet

Postby lainmai » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:47 am

She is stunning! I'm sure she will enjoy the $200 in toys and such let alone such a nice large cage :thumbsup:
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Postby TheNzJessie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:04 am

the one that skeetersunconure is the one i have used for both my lorikeets and have never had a problem with them, i would stay away from the ones that have no hard floor or sides

you can also upload the picture to tinypic and chance the dimensions there then attach the link onto here :)
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:10 pm

I don't know about Sun Conures, but GCCs are cavity nesters that sleep in their nests all the time, not just when reproducing. Many, mine included, prefer to sleep lying on their backs. Some birds nest only when preparing to reproduce and normally sleep perched. I think this may be a significant factor in deciding to provide a tent/bunker/box. Scooter loves his tent and always sleeps in it.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Return to Housing