Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Question about a Senegal and a Conure:)

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Question about a Senegal and a Conure:)

Postby bmsweb » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:54 pm

Michael wrote:She had a bonded breeding pair of Senegals for 10 years in the same cage and one day one of them killed the other anyway.

This can also happen with Conures and Its also a possiblity with Babies that are together. Its not uncommon to find 5 babies in the nest and come back in a few hours and find all dead but one :cry:
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures
Flight: Yes

Postby zazanomore » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:00 pm

lightweight wrote:I would not risk it either from personal experience. Pleas elearn from my mistakes. I wrote a more in depth thread in the general topic I believe it was. Basically, our Senegal has killed both of our conures a year apart (the last one being Sunday night). The first one, we stupidly had them out together unsupervised. After that, for the past year, we have given the separate out of cage time but at some point in the past few days when we replaced our other conures food dish we forgot to lock it in place (I am very throrough and have no clue how this could happen...human error). Anyways, our Senegal walked across the floor, climbed our conure's cage, lifted the bar that holds the food dish in place (was not snapped unfortunately...an accident I will forever regret), pulled out the food dish, went into the cage and killed our conure. Just not a risk I would take. If you are happy with your conure, I would stick with it...possibly get another conure (our 2 conures were very well bonded and loved the companionship).

:cry:
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies
Flight: Yes

Postby Java » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:03 am

I always think, when thinking about things such as this, what do these birds do in the wild. In caging, though, our birds are domesticated and not used to being around other birds, at least most of our birds. So, I would probably try it and watch and see, but have another cage for bedtime until I felt they were not in danger of hurting each other, same as I did with my ferrets. I had actually bought a brand new cage for the new one, which lasted 2 days, him and my older one are best of buds.

I wonder how they keep their nails shorter, or even if they do that? If I clip my guys nails, he cannot hold on to things firmly. I don't know, I guess I just feel they know what to do for themselves, other than feeding, cause they cannot just get food if none is provided.
Java
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Jenday Conure
Flight: No

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:44 pm

Java wrote: I don't know, I guess I just feel they know what to do for themselves, other than feeding, cause they cannot just get food if none is provided.

The flaw in this logic is that once you take them out of a natural environment, you can't count on "natural" behaviors to be suited to the artificial environment. Further, parrots LEARN some of their behaviors and a hand-raised baby won't have been taught how to do things by its parents. I think it is better to count on collective experience from humans keeping birds in captivity than to assume they will automatically do the right thing.

A Senegal would never meet a conure in its natural environment. And I'm sure plenty of birds kill other birds in a wild setting. It's part of survival of the fittest and helps select for the strongest birds to procreate. Not such a bad thing if you are a wild flock, but not desirable in your home with your beloved pets.

In a wild setting, claws probably do grow longer and sharper, but they probably also get USED a whole lot more.

I also don't know how long birds tend to live in the wild. In captivity our birds are very long-lived, but I'll wager they live fast and die young out in nature. We don't want that in our homes.

Nature is red in tooth and claw... I think any more people hear the word "natural" and get this image of soothing green forest, running water, peace and ohm... just as accurate to picture animals ripping other animals to pieces.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Previous

Return to Housing