Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What is the appropriate housing size for 2 parakeets?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

What is the appropriate housing size for 2 parakeets?

Postby Parakeet » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:32 pm

I'm not exactly sure how big it should be and I'd really appreciate it if I could get some help on this matter :)
Parakeet
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: What is the appropriate housing size for 2 parakeets?

Postby lainmai » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:39 pm

As large as you can get so long as the bar spacing isn't too large. Best "bang for your buck" is to invest into a decent flight cage, they are WELL worth their weight in gold!
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Postby Red Moppet » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:58 pm

lainmai wrote:As large as you can get so long as the bar spacing isn't too large. Best "bang for your buck" is to invest into a decent flight cage, they are WELL worth their weight in gold!

Ditto! And it's better to get a wider than taller cage so the birds have more room (in taller cages birds will often only stay up top, leaving half of the cage unused). For birds that are out of their cages all day a smaller cage typically suffices, but if you are planning on keeping the birds in the cage all day when you're working or at school for examples, then a larger cage with lots of toys is a must.

BPV1804.jpg
BPV1804.jpg (23.98 KiB) Viewed 6090 times

By "parakeets", do you mean budgies, or a larger type of parakeet? I purchased this cage in the link for one budgie.

At one point when I was researching cages for my bird I came across a mathematical formula (if you can believe it) that calculated the minimum amount of area a budgie or two or three would need. I will see if I can find that info if you would like.
Red Moppet
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeet

Postby lainmai » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:05 pm

Of the few I've seen here in canada these two are on my list as "decent"

1 or 2 birds: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2753629 (guillotine doors are not my fav)
1-4 birds: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=3359525 (you can get these elsewhere for cheaper)

I also don't mind the Hagen Vision II series of cages - just make sure you buy the MEDIUM as it gives a bit more space but remains as 3/8" bar spacing. (24" wide vs the 18" on the SMALL)
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Postby TheNzJessie » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:47 pm

this is the cage i have for my budgie, it could easily fit 2 or 3 as u can see in the photo. go for a flight cage more than a tall cage because budgie will only use the highest part of the cage, so if u make the highest part the longest part there going to have more room. budgies are extremely active birds and need more room and there size requires . the stand i brought as an extra and it cost me more than the cage! cage cost me $44 NZD and the stand cost me $59 NZD but i likes it because it was the proper stand for this cage and it has a rack under neath

Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby Kim S » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:22 am

It depends on what kind of parakeets you have. If you have two cockatiels youll need a bigger cage than for two budgies.
I advice buyers to get a 15.7 x 19,7 x 23,7 inches (depth x width x height) for two budgies.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Return to Housing