Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

new baby african grey

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

new baby african grey

Postby nelson » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:08 am

Hi,
I desperately need your advice. We have a new baby parrot who is still being handfed by us.
He is fine so far, learning to fly, eating well, but he hates his cage. He is climbing and unfortunately
falling off his perch very often. He loves us and he is very happy outside. I have not left the house
for 8 days now being frigthened that he could hurt himself. But I must do soon.
the little parrot was given away by the breeder because he has a deformation on his neck and right foot. He needs attention. We do and he is fine in every aspect appart from the cage situation.

Pls, pls give advise. Cage is 1mx1m x 1,70 m. We have taken most toys out because he night hurt himself. He is playing with us outside a lot. Have you got any tips for us?
nelson
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey, parrotlets
Flight: Yes

Re: new baby african grey

Postby lainmai » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:13 pm

nelson wrote:Hi,
the little parrot was given away by the breeder because he has a deformation on his neck and right foot. He needs attention. We do and he is fine in every aspect apart from the cage situation

Did the breeder or you take it to a vet? If there is a deformality there is a high chance he can't use his foot correctly & therefore would need a different cage than what would be conventional. Also, if he is still being hand fed he is still learning how to perch. My Sennie is still clumsy at climbing around but he is getting better with time & practice.

Best advice I could give is to see a vet and ask their opinion on what care is needed for this little "special needs" boy.
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Postby el-parrot » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:15 pm

Hi and welcome. I agree with lainmai about a visit to an avian vet. If the breeder didn't, than I think it is very important that you go to see a good vet with your baby, asking advice how to deal with his deformality and how to take (special) care for him. Good luck! Image
el-parrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: budgie, lovebird, senegal parrot, quaker parrot, congo african grey parrot
Flight: No

Postby TheNzJessie » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:42 am

yes i agree take him to a vet avian.. if hes only a baby they should give you advice on different ways t help treat his deformities while hes young and also give you a plan on setting up a specialized cage for him. if you take him to the vet they can give you advice on these including ways to helps his deformities while he grows which could be benifical in his long term health
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby Kim S » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:09 am

Besides all the good advice above, which is first priority, I would keep him in a different cage.
I wouldnt even keep him in a cage at this point. Get a large rabbitcage, those plastic ones. Make a perch not far from the ground. That way he can stroll around the botting, learn to climb on to of the perch, but you prevent him falling from great hights.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby nelson » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:21 am

Hi everybody,
first of all thanks for all the answers. My English is not the best so I will do my best to explain.
Apparently Momo had a elder brother who always sat on him when they were babies. After three days the breeder hat to take him out because he had no food at all. He was handfed than, his wing was
deformed, his neck and his foot. They where in contact with a good vet from Loro Parque. The advice was to plaster his wing and his neck. That was done. The wing is fine now, today was his first
flight. Unfortunately he did not land very well. But as soon as he is outside his is a fine boy. Playing with us like mad, jumping, climbing everything. The problem is I cannot leave him alone during the day at all. As soon as he is in his cage he is climbing and flapping his wings, he can go upwards,
but not to the ground. Often he falls down. he hurt himself a bit today. Crying for us. He is not eating in his cage. All he wants is out and to be with us. Night time is fine. He used to sleep till yesterday in a shoe carton with a towel
inside. That is his nest. Since yesterday he sleeps on a perch, no more bend over because of his
neck. He sleeps now like a bird with his neck between his wings. Fact is he will only go in when it is getting dark. I am frigthened of that, because I have my old mum in the house and I must go to the doctors with her often. Of couase I will go and see a good vet with Momo. Unfortunately it is far from here, and it is hot at the moment. I dont want to give that young bird such a stress. I was told that young parrots behave like mine and tha I should not spoil him. Difficult for me. Please help me and tell me how you got over this problem. I tried a smaller cage today. Impossible. Even worse. He climbs and flapps his wings, feathers everywhere. I am getting grey hair at the moment because of all this worry. Maybe you have ideas, rgs Karin
nelson
Parakeet

Postby nelson » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:55 pm

Hi everybody,

Momo is flying now like mad. It is a job looking after him. We are exhausted after 12 hours of hard work saving him , feeding him, cuddling him, playing with him etc. The house looks a mess.
Nevertheless he seems fine. It is not his disablement that make problems but his flying, and climbing and not being able to climb downwards. The smaller cage was worse. He was so exhausted after trying to break free - that is absolutely not possible. Within one week he made so many steps to being a normal bird it is unbelievable. I do not want to spoil him to much - it is very difficult to find the proper way to treat him. the little boy is very clever and he is playing us up quite often. In Germany it is not easy to have birds have there wings clipped. Especially in a case like this when I have to go to a vet sometimes. In his case I will try and have it done because he flies all over the place( into walls, Mirrors etc) and we dont want him to get hurt even more. Well here it is evening now - and I am looking forward to hear from you all soon. Well we had parrotlets so far, but this little boy is another
caliber.
Rgs Karin
nelson
Parakeet

Postby Kim S » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:03 pm

Dont cut his wings before he learns how to fly!!! This will only make things worse!
He will not be able to learn properly how to use his wings and keep crashing. Just let him learn on his own. He will be fine! Just like a baby trying to walk for the first time.

Where in Germany do you live? I'm from Holland and live pretty close to the German border (near Duisburg/Düsseldorf).
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby nelson » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:04 pm

Just a little funny thing at the end. Momo is only 12 weeks old. His breeder had a lot of dogs because they live very much outside I mean in a wood. They breed aras as well - it is for their safety. Momo
when he is anoid barks and makes noises like a dog!. A very tame and friendly bird. The breeder could not give a lot of attention. And believe me - this birds enjoys our company so much. I have never seen anything like it. I want him to be well, and we want him to have a good life. The vets
frighten me a bit too - I dont want him to be operated on and afterwards he is worse than before.
His disablement doesnt seem to bother him a lot. Might do in the long term so - I must go soon
and get information about his state.

Good night, and thanks for the answers.
Karin
nelson
Parakeet

Postby nelson » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:45 pm

Hi

I live in Hannover, in the middle of Germany. Thanks for the advice with cutting wings. It was an idea
but you are right, I wont do it. Today he was flying, especially in the moring he is very wild, if you understand what I mean. I cant move a step from him, didnt have the opportunity to get washed till the afternoon. He has grown and his muscles seem to be getting much stronger. He tries to talk and is a very sweet creature. We tried the smaller cage - that is a no go! He is hurting his wings too much.( Climbing and digging or better scratching) In the bigger cage he is climbing trying to find a way out, climbs to the top, and sometimes he falls. That is whithin seconds. I must put him in the cage sometimes I am only human, I have to prepare his food, go to the toilet, etc, etc. It is hearbreaking for me, when I hear he is falling. Thanks god he has not hurt him self seriously.
Nightime is fine, I darken the room, put a little led.Lamp on and he goes to sleep. Just daytime is
horrible, I keep my fingers crossed nothing happens to my 82 year old mum. she is ok at the moment but it will come times where I have to go to the doctors regularly. My greatest wish is that Momo settles down a bit, that I dont need to be worried all the time about him! sorry when I only answer in the evenings, it is the only time I can! Rgs Karin
nelson
Parakeet

Next

Return to Housing