Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Argument for a bigger cage?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Argument for a bigger cage?

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:44 am

You know what I don't like is when people over inflate the minimum requirements to be based on what they think is ideal. The minimum is the absolute least you can use. More is better without doubt. Not everyone has the means to buy an enormous cage. So it's important to offer absolute minimums and then the recommended size. This goes for cage size, not bar spacing. Bar spacing is more fixed in terms of proportion to size of parrot.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Rrrma » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:58 am

I completely agree. Yes, large is better, but sometimes people just don't have the space for a larger cage and need to know the bare minimum to house their bird. And then we would recommend they allow their bird out as much as possible to get the exercise and attention they need.
Sara, birdma to
Rosie(9), Vosmaeri Eclectus
Hardy(20+), Lilac Crown Amazon
Norma(14), Congo African Grey
Trinity(3) and Ginger(1), Normal Grey and White-faced Cinnamon Cockatiels
Rrrma
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Vosmaeri Eclectus, Lilac Crown Amazon, Congo African Grey, and 2 cockatiels(a normal grey and a white faced cinnamon)

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:01 am

Doesn't matter if it's an enormous cage... it's the daily interaction that is the most important part. It's the reason we want a pet parrot in the first place, isn't it?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Rrrma » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:15 am

I've heard a lot of people recommend 1.5x the wingspan as the minimum, so they can stretch their wings. I'm curious as to how those numbers compare to the minimum sizes.

If that were the case, Rosie's cage should be a minimum of 45" wide. That would be amazing if I could put her in that! Good thing she spends the majority of the day following me around the house.
Sara, birdma to
Rosie(9), Vosmaeri Eclectus
Hardy(20+), Lilac Crown Amazon
Norma(14), Congo African Grey
Trinity(3) and Ginger(1), Normal Grey and White-faced Cinnamon Cockatiels
Rrrma
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Vosmaeri Eclectus, Lilac Crown Amazon, Congo African Grey, and 2 cockatiels(a normal grey and a white faced cinnamon)

Postby Titanius » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:13 am

You'd be surprised the range of cage sizes I've heard from people. I would be happy to see a down pat standard placed in a sticky so there's kind of a final word on the matter.
Titanius
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Previous

Return to Housing