Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Outdoor Aviaries

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Outdoor Aviaries

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:33 am

If you cage your birds separately in indoor cages, why is it ok to cage them together in an aviary? Is it because there is more space and they can fly away or do they perceive territory differently?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Outdoor Aviaries

Postby Mona » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:13 pm

That's an interesting question.

It is because they can fly away. If the birds are out and have the space, they can fly away if the flock dynamic is stressful for them. Having said that, I know somebody who housed a macaw and a meyers in an aviary together and the meyers ended up losing her beak so you have to be careful that the species are compatible. My birds are all African birds: Three Senegals and two greys. They seem to understand each other (communicate back and forth) and they are all proficient flyers.

When outside in the aviaries, I do separate Babylon and Jack from Bailey. I have two aviaries. Babylon will sometimes pick on Bailey so this is easier. Some birds are compatible and some are not. This will always depend on the individual birds.

A cage space is very small and if one bird becomes aggressive, the other cannot escape. This is why I do not house Jack and Babylon in the same cage although they do preen and feed each other. There are times when I see her get upset with him and she will fly around the room and scream. In a cage, she could not do this and I am concerned this could become a dangerous situation so they are in separate cages.

Every thing is a work in progress but I do believe that it is enriching for them to have the flock situation at times. They squabble, play, mimic each other and as long as they are all in good health and compatible, it's good exercise for them. They also tend to explore and play individually and I also believe this is good for them. You just have to be very careful and know your flock. I do not plan to add to my flock but I am sure that there are a few species of birds that would NOT be at all compatible. I would not add another Poicephalus hen to the flock because Babylon is very athletic and possessive so I think that dynamic could be dangerous. I would also not add a cockatiel or budgie to my flock because I think my birds are too much for such gentle birds. I would also not add a big bird like a macaw to the flock because I think a bird like that would overwhelm my birds.....

So, it's a bit of an art but you have to keep an eye on the birds and you need to know your birds. You also should be familiar with your species because some species can be much more aggressive to other birds.

Thanks for asking.

Mona
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:21 pm

I guess that means you'll be getting yourself a cockatoo :cockatoo: :lol:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby TheNzJessie » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:14 pm

because aviaries are bigger and if you study the birds you can see they form there own areas within the aviary, like a neighborhood :) well form what i ahve seen anyway
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Return to Housing