Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Esablishing Parrot Territory

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Esablishing Parrot Territory

Postby Michael » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:53 pm

Do you believe it is better to establish separate and independent territories amongst a flock of household parrots or to establish it as a shared space?

For instance is it a good idea to alternate parrots between different cages or for each to have their own? On a low level a different cage for each bird seems like the most reasonable thing because as humans we like to have our own rooms in houses. However, I could see territory as the root of aggression in some parrots and by removing the sense of terrirory, it may be possible to reduce territorial aggression. So would it then make sense to rotate parrots between each others cages and not give "ownership" of a particular cage, tree, perch, or toy per a particular parrot. Or, on the other hand, if each parrots knows his own cage and his own perch, perhaps he will always go to his own perch and not the other parrot's and thus not fight for the other parrot's territory because you already established it.

What about cross-species and cross-sized parrots? What do you do to keep the bigger parrots from bullying and stealing territories from the smaller ones?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Esablishing Parrot Territory

Postby Mona » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:19 pm

Hi Michael:

I think it is important that birds have their own cages, but in my experience - they also really like to share and explore the other birds' cages.

When mine are out exploring, two or three are generally in the other's bird cages eating the other birds' food and it doesn't seem to bother any body. Bailey, in particular, has a special affinity for Kiri's cage and likes to crawl inside her big food bowl, chew on her pellets and talk to me when I poke my head in to check on him. I leave the doors to the cages open so the birds can go in and out at will.

Having said that, I also try to make sure that only one bird at a time is in a cage even when they are all out, flying and playing around. I don't want a bird to become trapped in a cage if aggression does escalate. Outside of their cages, it is no big deal because they can and will fly away from each other but inside a cage, they may not be able to escape. My flock is acclimated to each other and for the most part, they seem to "get that" as well. If Bailey sees Kiri approaching her cage, he will usually get out before she comes in (but I still keep an eye on them)

The one exception in regards to aggressive behavior is if a bird decides to establish a nesting territory. I want to caution you that this does not have to happen and it doesn't always happen automatically. My hens will often pick out a foraging spot and when I go to get them, they will look at me and metaphorically bat their eyes, inviting me to join them in their "nesting spot". It is usually very easy for me to pick them up and interact with them at this point. I think in the "discovery phase" of nesting behavior, the birds are usually quite sweet and inviting. You just don't want them to become "entrenched". If they become "entrenched" then they can become aggressive.

In other words, you cannot generalize about a bird being territorial or becoming aggressive. It is a modifiable behavior in many cases and not every bird will become aggressive. You have to look at this on a case by case basis; BUT if you do see a bird becoming defensive and aggressive, you should definitely look at the possibility that they are defending something. In that case, you need to be understanding about it.

For parrots in the wild, defending a nesting sight is a life and death imperative. They lay eggs so there is nothing more important to them than finding and defending a nesting sight. Of course, if we are not breeding and we want to keep our parrots as companions, this is a behavior we really want to discourage. One way to do this is: If you see a bird becoming "territorial" with an object, remove the object from the area. If you see a bird becoming "territorial" about a place, keep the bird away from that place. Move them into a different room.

I also believe that moving cages and toys around and taking birds outside of the house as much as possible throughout their lives and into adulthood will discourage a bird from becoming too "nesty".

Having said all that, I don't see cages as becoming a source of territorial aggression. Boxes and dark areas are probably more likely to become areas that a bird will choose to defend.

Also, different species of birds will definitely be programmed for different innate behaviors in regards to nesting. So, it will all depend on species, sex, age and individuals - You can't generalize!

Great topic that deserves a lot more discussion.

Thanks!

Mona
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Postby Michael » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:27 pm

Well outside of nesting, do you think for a flock of companion parrots, sharing is caring? Do you think giving parrots possessions individually vs. letting all the parrots have something collectively encourages or discourages parrot to parrot aggression? What about parrot to human aggression?
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Natacha » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:33 pm

Each of my birds have their cage and I do not alternate. Their cage is their cage. And honestly, I haven't met any territoriality from any of them towards their cage. When they are out, I close the doors because I know some of them will pig out in other birds' cages or destroy favorite type of toys. Plus, I don't want to risk having injuries from an in/out meeting through cage bars.

They are free to go wherever when they are out though; no perch belongs to one bird. They share that common play area.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Mona » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:23 pm

I think Senegals are very "resource possessive". They don't share very well, however; I don't think it's easy to always predict what it is that they are "resource possessive" about. They might share food or a toy and turn very unreasonable about sharing something like a towel.....until they decide it's "okay" to share the towel and then their mood will be very cooperative. Their moods are mercurial.

Greys can be taught....well, probably Senegals can be taught...but I have seen some of my birds get very emotional over a perceived "possession". Babylon is the worse.

The answer to your question is: It depends. It depends on species, individuals, relationship to individuals, time of year, and what that parrot perceives its task is in that particular moment. I have seen Babylon get very possessive and nippy over water. I have to think that's an innate drive for her for some reason....but she can also be so sweet that she melts me....and Jack and Babylon frequently feed and preen each other.

They are just complex little Gremlins!

Thanks.
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Postby localpigeon » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:36 pm

My cockatiels go into my budgie's cage to pig out. The budgie, who's a big fan of the tiels seems to think this is very cool to have his big brothers in with him. He stands all proud and relaxed. Playtime however needs to be supervised because the budgie likes to take rides on the back of the tiels and that annoys them a bit. I keep an eye. And give the tiels playtime away from the budgie sometimes.
localpigeon
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Budgie, Cockatiels

Postby MissLady9902 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:05 pm

Just FYI when birds mate the male climbs on the females back. Maybe your budgie is trying to "mate" your 'tiels? That might be why they are so irritated with the budgie!!
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Return to Housing