Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Fully Cleaning Your Parrot's Cage

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Fully Cleaning Your Parrot's Cage

Postby michaelflynn » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:13 am

Thanks for sharing . This post is really helpful
michaelflynn
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: parrots
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:38 am

I’m having a disagreement with some people over using vinegar for cleaning.

I think it needs to be half vinegar, or at least 1/3 vinegar, but they’re using a lot less. Maybe 1/2 cup to a gallon of water.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:05 am

Vinegar needs to be sprayed directly onto a surface for it to be effective in killing anything and even then it does not kill everything it needs to kill. Personally, I think that using any kind of vinegar solution to clean cages is a waste of time and nothing but a fake 'green' fad. Warm water with a splash of dish detergent and the tiniest bit of Clorox is much more effective and it doesn't leave things smelling of salad dressing.

See this: http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits ... ctant.html
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Zorro_the_bhc_2015 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:15 pm

I use avi clean & rag on my birds cage as it does not fit through the door of my bedroom. And a zip tie to get anything stuck between bars then a handheld vacuum 4 big stuff.
Zorro_the_bhc_2015
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1

how to clean a powder coated iron cage

Postby Angelina » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:10 am

I am totally new and I am waiting for a powder coated iron cage. I am wondering how I could treat it so it is easier to avoid rust from forming. Washing a cage like this seems to create rust very quickly. Any ideas???
Angelina
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Peach faced lovebirds

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:02 am

Hi, Angelina. I am not sure we are talking about the same kind of cage but powder-coated ones don't rust unless the coating chips off. Now, how soon that happens depends on the thickness and number of coatings it gets -the cheaper ones have thin coatings while the more expensive ones have thicker or more of them BUT, if you want a real thick coat, get yourself an old, used one because those used to be practically bullet proof! :lol: My very best cage is an old, old one I got for $60 that I use for my pair of senegals. It used to be an outdoor cage for a large bird [don't know what species, I never saw the bird] and it was still in the garden when I picked it up but, neither then nor now, 6 years later, has a single chip missing!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bultaco » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:09 pm

pfinarffle wrote:I have to say that the little steam cleaner we bought has been the best $70 I've spent in a loooong while! No more icky vinegar or diluted bleach smell or expensive poop cleaners!

Brand and model name, please!? :-)
You can call me Scotty
Better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it!
Bultaco
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow-Headed Amazon
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:37 am

Any of them would work, Buitaco. I tried it twice and it works, it's only that I just don't have the patience to steam a large cage - it takes too long and I have too many cages to do every day.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:28 am

Baby wipes clean anything. Remember to rinse after use.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Previous

Return to Housing