Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

A few picturse of my hanging play gyms

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

A few picturse of my hanging play gyms

Postby Natacha » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:15 pm

Here are a couple of pictures of my hanging play gyms.

Above Joey and Petey's cages. This is where Shade and Zuri hang out most of the time (it's next to my big windows). Shade is there a lot more since the big evil purple Jolly Ball made it's appearance on the gym above her cage...she had no problem with the red Jolly ball (was intrigued with it from the beginning) so I have to assume she has a problem with the colour purple :rolleyes

Here is the park above Shade and Piper's cages.
Petey spends a lot of her time when not on my boyfriend on that park.

My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: A few picturse of my hanging play gyms

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:29 pm

Wow... just wow. That is a lot of stuff! And I thought I was weird for having bird things all over the place. That's an incredible amount of stuff!

Do you let your bird out all at the same time? Do you house any together? And how do the Pois get along with the lovebird? My Senegal is aggressive/jealous toward budgie.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Natacha » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:36 pm

:)

You haven't seen my mom's birdroom. It's even more packed with stuff.
My boyfriend and I are actually going to move into a two bedroom appartment in our building (we are currently in a one bedroom) and I'll have a room dedicated to the birds so that will probably be crazy (I'll have parks in the common living area and bring them there as well). But since we are moving out, they'll be showing our appartment to prospect new tenants and I can only imagine how crazy they'll think we are when they see my living room...

Anyways, I do let all my birds out together at once. There is enough play areas for them to not have to be together if they don't want to. My lovebird like spending a lot of time on me. But she'll also go on some of the play gyms at the same time as others and it goes reasonably well; Shade, the Senegal, will actually protect her if another bird wants to go after her. They actually all get along reasonably well except for Petey. But even Petey is getting better; at first she would run and try to attack any bird that came somewhat close, now she'll wait for me to move them (and look at me with a look that says "I want my treat, I've been good"..cause I do reward her for not running after them).

edit: They all have their own cages. Although they do get along reasonably well out of their cages, I wouldn't dream putting two in one cage. Afraid one will get territorial and fights will start..
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Crazy Bird Lady » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:11 am

thats really awesome! you must have some very happy birdies!
parrots arent mere ornaments, and they're hardly "just a pet" they are intelligent and emotional creatures who want our companionship. As a bird owner, its a pleasure to make my parrots lives as happy, enriched and healthy as possible
Crazy Bird Lady
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: 5 Budgies and 2 Cockatiels

Postby MissLady9902 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:26 am

Oh my gosh! I wish my hubbie would let me do that.
*sighs*
even if he would we have very high ceilings so I don't think it would be an option. :(
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Lisa » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:33 pm

MissLady9902 wrote:Oh my gosh! I wish my hubbie would let me do that.
*sighs*
even if he would we have very high ceilings so I don't think it would be an option. :(

Hello:

I kinda new to this list as I do go on another one, now let me just say that we got a Jenday conure and we have not even got him home yet as he is still being hand fed.

I am looking for a playstand and I want to get one big enough in case I do in the future get a cockatoo which is what I went in looking for, I was going to get a consignment bird but it was sold in 2 days.

even though my husband picked out the conure and he really like how they looked, knowing that they do scream but here is where we come in, we have 7 dogs, as we were breeding springers and we also have 2 english cockers, I am a trainer and also show dogs.

we had a bad experience with the tiels from where we got them.

now my thing as someone else said my husband would not allow that, all those big expenive toys hanging all over the place. I would love to know how many birds do you have????
and what kind?

I see you have the cages with the playstands on top? I was told that is not good becasue it can cause a aggressive behavior with the birds, becasue you should keep them eye level.

again talking about toys playstands etc, I am looking for a play stand big enough so if in the future I do get a cockatoo I will not have to go out and get a second one, I can get a free standing Perch with the bowls on each side??

any advise would be great

Lisa
Lisa
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: jenday conure

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:50 pm

The cage top play stands are kind of useless (especially if your living area is distant from parrot sleeping area). See my other post. I recommend getting a cheap climbing tree for the conure and then replacing it every few years so there is new bark/wood to chew.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby bmsweb » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:46 am

What can I say other than WOW!
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby lzver » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:23 am

I can only wish I provided that much for Lucy and Jessie!

Currently Lucy and Jessie have separate times out of their cage. Lucy has always been more aggressive and I'm afraid if they are out together that one of them will get hurt. And recently when Lucy flies over to Jessie's cage he gets very defensive and goes after Lucy's feet. I'm hoping that is just a territorial thing because she's on his cage.

Natacha, when Petey tried to attack your other birds, how did they handle it? Did they try to defend themselves? We are in the process of building some play gyms for both Lucy and Jessie because I want them to be able to hang out downstairs with us in the basement and I suspect I'm the one that needs to get over my fear of them not being able to get along.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Laura
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby greymatter » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:18 am

I moved into a 2-bedroom apartment from a 1-bedroom apartment before I met my husband - just me and the birds. Why a 2-bedroom? The same reason you have - so the birds could have their own room :).

I LOVE what fun toys you have dangling from the ceiling!!

Once we finish the bird room ceiling (now in a house), I think I'll show this to my husband so he can replicate something very similar.

Great idea!

Heck, even I want to play on it!
"You be good...I love you...see you tomorrow" - Alex the Grey
greymatter
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: African Grey Parrot, Caique, Cockatiel

Next

Return to Housing