Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cage Covering *large cage*

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Cage Covering *large cage*

Postby ptuga72 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:03 am

pchela wrote:Oooh... a black out curtain from Ikea? I will have to look into that. We have an Ikea here so looks like I'll have to go shopping!

Isn't Ikea wonderful? I <3 it!
I'll have to look into it too! Sometimes I find that partially covering the fosters' cage helps keep Jake from screaming at them all day, but nothing we have works for their cage...
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)
Flight: No

Postby Natacha » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:48 am

IKEA can be wonderful - unfortunately I always find it way too crowded...and absolutely hate to have to go through the whole store when I want something at the end.

Anyway, I had thought of getting black out curtains as well, but given the apartment life is only temporary, I didn't want to spend a fortune on window treatment yet (we have HUGE windows..) so when we do own a house, we'll get the black out curtains and then hopefully I won't need to cover all the cages anymore (since they'll be in their own room there as well..)
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:24 pm

Natacha wrote:IKEA can be wonderful - unfortunately I always find it way too crowded...and absolutely hate to have to go through the whole store when I want something at the end.

The nearest one to us has many short-cuts if you dare to leave the marked path! However, when it first opened I encountered a woman who had managed to get truly lost in the store and couldn't figure out how to get out and was having a meltdown. It would have been funny if she hadn't been so freaked out.

But back OT, would a blackout curtain be overkill? I am probably spoiled as we have two birds used to dealing with partially lit nighttimes, so just a plain dark room is plenty dark for them... but especially for a 'tiel, since they are prone to night frights, might a complete light-blocker be too much for them?
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby pchela » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:06 pm

I was thinking of the black out curtain for the actual windows which might prevent having to cover the actual cages as Natacha said. I don't actually know how much light they actually block. Is it complete darkness?
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:34 pm

Ah, I think I missed a page or something. Even blackout shutters (they are common in Spain and I had an apartment with them) don't quite make 100% but they do get close. With a curtain, there would be some leakage around the edges, and you might even be able to play with that to get exactly what you want.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby Mr.Darcy » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:38 pm

The curtains are pretty good, and your right you do get some light leakage around the edges but you can put a pillow up against them to try to block more. I have them in my bedroom because I used to work shifts.....But I was just thinking of using one as a cage cover around the cage...not for total darkness
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot

Postby Titanius » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:12 pm

As you guys said this I asked my mom for a large enough cover and she was surprisingly willing to sacrifice one of her bed sheets for the cause so to speak. I guess you don't get what you don't ask for. :lol:
Titanius
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby Java » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:36 am

Funny, this forum shows up in almost every google search I do.

Was looking for a table top play area for Java, because he has taken to doing a few things that drive me batty. He steals the straws out of my coffee cup and sodas, at least 20 times a day, so going through tons of straws. He also likes to chew my headphone wires and mouse wires, and the bottom of my mouse pads. So, thinking if I occupy him (tried to give him tons of things he can chew) with a play area, he will leave my stuff alone. I have seen the plain old ones with just a perch and maybe a spot for food bowls, but I need a lot of activities to keep him occupied.

Then, I need a cage cover and that is the googling that got me here. They sell Cozzzy Covers for like crazy amounts of money, but as much as I love my bird, that is a bit much. I am using a big comforter type blanket, but it does not sit right cause of the play top it has on my cage. It does not cover the whole cage and when I put it on, he goes to the bottom of the cage where he can still see me and chirps at me to take him out. I cannot sew to save my life, so really am limited in what I can make. If I can hot glue it, I might have a chance at making something.

Anybody have any ideas, websites that sell these 2 things cheaper than a zillion dollars? anybody know anybody who makes these types of play things?
Java
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Jenday Conure

Postby Java » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:38 am

Oh, on the blackout curtains from Ikea, I thought she meant she covers her cage with these, not put them on the windows, but I could be wrong, and probably am.
Java
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Jenday Conure

Postby snakesentwined » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:57 am

Didn't think of Ikea: we were told that ordinary fabric wouldn't be dark enough, so I bought several meters of Black-out fabric to cover our huge cage, and it cost me £60!! I took one look at trying to sew it all together and decided it was cheaper and easier to save the Black out for new curtains and just buy a Cozy-cover instead ;))

One question though - how do people *un*-cover their birds in the morning? All in one go, or a slow reveal over 30 mins or so...?
"every man and woman is a star, governing their own orbit"

http://www.11am-gmt.blogspot.com/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/snakesentwined/
snakesentwined
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yello-crowned Amazon Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to Housing