Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Getting new cages

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Getting new cages

Postby bjpasion » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:09 pm

With a new member arriving, I'm going to be purchasing two new cages. I've been looking at many options from steel to aluminum. Budget for the new cages and toys is $1700. I am expecting my new arrival during the week of October the 24th, so time is not on my side. I do not have alot of heavily stocked pet stores near me so getting toys locally is not a good possibilty.
One compnay selling aluminum cages has several I'm interested in. One has a multi level setup inside of it. Interior dimensions of just the cage are (24" D X 34" L X 37" H). Does anyone have experience with the multi level/ladder cages? Bascially does your parrot like them?

I'm also looking for a one stop shop for toys. I do make some myself but I don't mind not making some.

I'm also looking for a new stand(not included in the budget) for my new arrival.

Brad
bjpasion
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Brown headed Parrot
Ruppell's Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Getting new cages

Postby pchela » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:47 pm

A few of our members have had luck with King's Cages. They make an aluminum cage but they are a bit pricey.

I don't have any experience with a parrot in a cage with a multi level setup but I don't imagine it would be a problem as long as there is plenty of room for them to flap their wings without them hitting anything.

As for toys, there are several good websites for them. Motherpluckin Bird Toys, Bird Paradise, PionusParrots.com. There are lots more and of course, Petsmart and Petco have less expensive options.

Bird Paradise seems to have a bit of everything if you're wanting one stop shopping.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby bjpasion » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:14 pm

Thank you! I will definately be checking those places out. Kings had some cages that were pretty nice. They were going for 599.99 each. So I'm thinking about them. Leaves roughly 400 after shipping charges. should be enough to get some toys. Then the trees i'm looking at are 250-450. Cant decide on what size would be the best...
bjpasion
Parrotlet

Ruppell's Parrot

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:31 pm

Keep in mind that many of the cages have shipping included in the price (but not always so check the each site's policy). I wouldn't get stacked cages for pois. They are just so darned territorial, you don't want to create territory tension this way. I think two independent free standing cages are a better (and easier to maintain/clean) set up anyway. Just one piece of advice. If you plan to get two of the same kind of cage, get them in separate colors so that your parrots can learn to identify their own one.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby bjpasion » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:08 pm

Thanks Michael, I was about to get two of the same color...now I'll switch them up.

Thanks
BP
bjpasion
Parrotlet

Ruppell's Parrot

Postby pchela » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:13 pm

I don't agree about the colors being different. All of my cages are exactly the same and my birds have no trouble identifying their own. And having the same color just looks better in your house.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Natacha » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:56 am

I wouldn't get stack cages because the parrot on the bottom ends up being too low in my opinion - imagine staring at legs all day fun - not to mention the amount of light down there isn't great.

pchela wrote:I don't agree about the colors being different. All of my cages are exactly the same and my birds have no trouble identifying their own. And having the same color just looks better in your house.

I agree with this - all my cages are exactly the same colour, and most are the exact same model and trust me, my guys know which cages are theirs (it's my boyfriend who has a hard time remembering ;) ).
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Return to Housing