Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

3/4" Bar Spacing is Too Big for Small Parrots

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

3/4" Bar Spacing is Too Big for Small Parrots

Postby Michael » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:30 pm

I wanted to mention a reason I don't think 3/4 inch bar spacing is good for Senegal Parrots, Conures, Cockatiels, Parakeets, and other smaller species for which the spacing would normally be considered suitable.

My Senegal Parrot lives in a cage with 5/8" spacing and my Cape Parrot in a cage with 3/4" spacing. Although the Cape is significantly bigger than the Senegal, his feet are still barely big enough to conveniently climb 3/4" spacing. Although he can, I'd imagine a Senegal (or similarly sized parrot) having a tougher time.

The biggest reason I don't like 3/4" for smaller parrots is because of the toys/perches. Most of the toys and perches suitable in size for the small parrots are made to be bolted on to smaller cages. The bar spacing on 3/4" cage makes it difficult, too loose, or impossible to bolt the thinner bolts meant for the smaller parrots. I'm kind of stuck using stuff slightly too big for Truman in his cage because the smaller stuff wouldn't even be able to bolt on without falling off. This arrangement is alright for him but I don't think it would work so well for any parrot smaller (including a Jardine's).

If 3/4" spacing is ruled out for Jardine's Parrots, Senegals, Conures, and anything smaller than what is considered medium, this means that the upper size limit of cages for small parrots is around 24"x24". I know some people believe they should have a roomier cage, however, the problem of bar spacing seems to outweigh the benefit of the additional space. So even if a larger bar spacing is safe for the parrot, consider how accessories will be able to connect to this spacing and if it will be comfortable for the parrot to climb on. From my personal observation, 3/4" bar spacing is just too large for the smaller parrots and 5/8" is ideal.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: 3/4" Bar Spacing is Too Big for Small Parrots

Postby Natacha » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:52 am

Michael wrote:I wanted to mention a reason I don't think 3/4 inch bar spacing is good for Senegal Parrots, Conures, Cockatiels, Parakeets, and other smaller species for which the spacing would normally be considered suitable.

I find it's too large for most of what you mentioned above (Cockatiels, Parakeets and most small conures (including everything the size of a GCC), but I do not believe it's too large for a Senegal and other birds that size (they are much larger than the other ones you've listed here...) All my Pois are in cages with 3/4" bar spacing, some have been for quite a few years, and I've never had any serious problems due to this.

My Senegal Parrot lives in a cage with 5/8" spacing and my Cape Parrot in a cage with 3/4" spacing. Although the Cape is significantly bigger than the Senegal, his feet are still barely big enough to conveniently climb 3/4" spacing. Although he can, I'd imagine a Senegal (or similarly sized parrot) having a tougher time.

Parrots are adaptable. As I said, all my pois have a cage with 3/4" spacing and trust me, they have no difficulties getting around if they do so by climbing the bars of their cages (horizontal and vertical bars).

The biggest reason I don't like 3/4" for smaller parrots is because of the toys/perches. Most of the toys and perches suitable in size for the small parrots are made to be bolted on to smaller cages. The bar spacing on 3/4" cage makes it difficult, too loose, or impossible to bolt the thinner bolts meant for the smaller parrots. I'm kind of stuck using stuff slightly too big for Truman in his cage because the smaller stuff wouldn't even be able to bolt on without falling off. This arrangement is alright for him but I don't think it would work so well for any parrot smaller (including a Jardine's).

While I agree that this particular type of situation is annoying, I do find that it has improved a lot these last few years (most toys/perches I've bought recently don't have this problem). But there are still ways around it - if the toy/perch is held in place with washers and the ones that come with the toy/perch are too small, just go to a hardware store and get some in a more appropriate size. I've done this in the past. If a toy comes with a quick link that doesn't quite make it over the cage bar, either substitute it with another which does from another toy (one not being currently used or even from a stack of older quick links (I always keep them once a toy is "done" for this exact reason) or use a baby link to hang the toy. Be resourceful.

If 3/4" spacing is ruled out for Jardine's Parrots, Senegals, Conures, and anything smaller than what is considered medium, this means that the upper size limit of cages for small parrots is around 24"x24". I know some people believe they should have a roomier cage, however, the problem of bar spacing seems to outweigh the benefit of the additional space. So even if a larger bar spacing is safe for the parrot, consider how accessories will be able to connect to this spacing and if it will be comfortable for the parrot to climb on. From my personal observation, 3/4" bar spacing is just too large for the smaller parrots and 5/8" is ideal.

While I agree that I will only go so big as long as the bar spacing is appropriate, there are bigger cages out there which still have an appropriate bar spacing. For the smaller guys, I've seen plenty of flight cages which are at least 28" wide and have 5/8" bar spacing. I've also seen other cages which are once again at least 28" wide and have 3/4" bar spacing for the medium birds.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:48 am

We have a Red Wing, Princess Parrot and 2 Tiel's in a cage with 3'4" spacing, and while it's probably not ideal, we've had no problems with it. At all. They climb around fine, they have no issues with anything at all.
My old Tiel did used to poke her head between the bars to give herself a scratch(genius if you ask me), but the others have never been interested.
And perches not fitting? I don't understand, you just pick a branch to fit the bar width?? Altho all our perches are out of the garden and simply have a slot cut in either end, just slots onto the bar.
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
o'Tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Malolo - Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
Prince - Blue Princess Parrot
Cheeky - Green Cheek Conure(RIP)
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel x 2
Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot
Yellow Sided GCC
Pineapple GCC

Postby Munchy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:52 pm

I'm glad I read this since I have been wondering about what kind of cage to get Disney. I have two options I found through this forum, plus the one I previously found at petsmart. My husband says I was wrong and the cage at petsmart has 1/2 inch spacing not the 3/4 I was thinking it had. I have until november to make a final decision. But I am sure 5/8 or 1/2 inch spacing is the way I am going to go.
Disney is just to tiny of a bird for anything larger I think.
Munchy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Half Moon Conure

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:49 pm

CheekyandMalolo wrote:My old Tiel did used to poke her head between the bars to give herself a scratch(genius if you ask me), but the others have never been interested.

I understand that this is exactly the kind of thing that can be dangerous with too-big bar spacing, though. If the head fits tightly, I have heard that a bird could wind up slipping or getting startled and be dangling by the head which has gotten wedged. FWIW.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Mr.Darcy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:08 pm

When I was looking for my birds cage I read everything I could and spoke to whoever would listen and I think the biggest issue with bar spacing is the worry of the birds head getting through. They can climb pretty much anything and yes the spacing my stretch their toes a bit but their head is a bigger worry....IMHO
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:44 am

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:
CheekyandMalolo wrote:My old Tiel did used to poke her head between the bars to give herself a scratch(genius if you ask me), but the others have never been interested.

I understand that this is exactly the kind of thing that can be dangerous with too-big bar spacing, though. If the head fits tightly, I have heard that a bird could wind up slipping or getting startled and be dangling by the head which has gotten wedged. FWIW.

Yup, I realise that it could be quite dangerous, we just never thought it as something that could turn ugly at the time. Her head didn't fit tightly, it was quite loose, and there was never a moment that made us think that it could be dangerous, but now, if I saw any of the birds do it, I would discourage it. And in my car, the bar spacing is about 1-1.25cms so really nowhere near big enough to get anything stuck.
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
o'Tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Malolo - Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
Prince - Blue Princess Parrot
Cheeky - Green Cheek Conure(RIP)
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel x 2
Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot