Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Possible parrot home help

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Possible parrot home help

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:58 am

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:She is beautiful, but she doesn't really sound like an easy bird... FWIW.

Hey, they are cheap compared to a horse!

Amen sister!
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
o'Tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Malolo - Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
Prince - Blue Princess Parrot
Cheeky - Green Cheek Conure(RIP)
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel x 2
Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot
Yellow Sided GCC
Pineapple GCC
Flight: Yes

Postby Icee » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:24 pm

I believe I might have found a bird that is better suited for me. A male Soloman Island Eclectus. The owner belongs to a site that only talks about Eclectus species. It's not really a forum though, so if I do bring home this guy I need to make SURE I can get help at a forum if I need it. The owner wants him to go with his cage and toys. I am having a problem with taking the cage that is coming with him. If it's not nice, and I mean really nice then I don't want it. I'm making a list of questions to ask the previous owner, regarding the Eclectus. If anyone has any advice, I'd be happy to hear it. I also need to find an avian vet. Lots to think about. I'm so excited I could throw up. (lovely huh)!
Icee
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: none yet
Flight: No

Postby Roger P » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:50 pm

If the bird is a good match and you are feeling this is "the one", and he will not give the bird without the cage, you could always use your cage and sell the other one, using the proceeds for all the other things you will need for your bird. Or, you could donate the cage to a local bird rescue organization and get some good karma towards your relationship with your new fid!
Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure

Birds are a miracle because they prove to us there is a finer, simpler state of being which we may strive to attain.
Doug Coupland
Roger P
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Maroon Bellied Conure

Postby Brittanyv326 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:11 am

This was the first question I asked when I joined too! I was ripped off and sold this ferret cage as a bird cage, I have the same exact one except the single level. It didn't even come with the slide out tray, I had to order one online for $25...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1941&p=8685#p8685

Pchela gave me a really thorough, helpful answer (as usual) and the cage has worked great.
Brittanyv326
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal.

Postby sidech » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:04 pm

Icee wrote:I believe I might have found a bird that is better suited for me. A male Soloman Island Eclectus. The owner belongs to a site that only talks about Eclectus species. It's not really a forum though, so if I do bring home this guy I need to make SURE I can get help at a forum if I need it. The owner wants him to go with his cage and toys. I am having a problem with taking the cage that is coming with him. If it's not nice, and I mean really nice then I don't want it. I'm making a list of questions to ask the previous owner, regarding the Eclectus. If anyone has any advice, I'd be happy to hear it. I also need to find an avian vet. Lots to think about. I'm so excited I could throw up. (lovely huh)!

I too am in the process of acquiring an Eclectus, so I have done a great deal of reading about these magnificent birds, and talked to an experienced breeder as well, whom I am still in contact with.

I don't know if you are aware, but Eclectus have a longer digestive track than other parrots and need a special diet, very high in fibre. The food pyramid is upside down for them, ie, they need mostly vegetables, leafy ones mainly, then sprouts, fruits, seeds, and no pellets at all, or if any, they have to be organic, and not more than 5-6 pellets per day.

Also, they can't have any food with added vitamins, artificial colors, or any unnatural ingredients. If not well fed, they are prone to toe tapping and wing clipping, and particularly sensitive to feather plucking. When fed a proper diet, they can live 50 years or so. If not, they won't make it past 8-10 years.

That means that you basically have to prepare home meals for them (chopping vegetables and fruits, and sprouting), which will be about 80% of their diet. Apparently it becomes pretty easy with time, and you can freeze most of it. They need to have one fresh meal in the morning, and one fresh meal in the evening.

Eclectus need to be in a quiet environment. They are really good family bird, but do not enjoy hectic life. Feather plucking might result when living in unsuitable conditions for them.

I don't know if you knew all this, but most people don't, even stores that sell them, so I thought I would let you know.

Better safe than sorry.

Good luck with your new baby, if you decide to get him. And please post pictures !
sidech
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus

Postby Icee » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:25 pm

I am going to go ahead and use this cage for my new bird. I haven't updated because I've been getting help from another forum (I joined 3 and am visiting two). I'm bringing home the Blue Fronted Amazon this weekend. Have a vet appt. ready for next week. After a quarantine period and all the test results are ok, then just possibly I will also be bringing home the Eclectus if the owner choses to rehome him with me. If it's not a problem to post photos that are going to be on the other forum I'm learning from, then I'd love to post them here too. I'd love to show how the cage turns out!

Thank you for posting that link Brittany. I would be so upset to have that happened to me, it's just wrong. How is the cage working out?
Icee
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: none yet

Postby ldallas04 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:18 pm

I am definitely interested to see what the cage turns out to be after you've got everything all set up! Post pictures! :D
Lindsay, :gcc: (Max) & :sun: (Apollo)
ldallas04
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure, Sun Conure

Previous

Return to Housing