Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Anyone use heated perches?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Anyone use heated perches?

Postby footfoot » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:28 am

I just bought my second heated perch for my new cockatiel. I use a heated perch in the sleep cage for my Senegal.
Inventor should get the Nobel Perch Prize!
Senegal-age 3
footfoot
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal- 2 years old.
Flight: No

Re: Anyone use heated perches?

Postby Jenny » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:07 am

I'm curious as to how you see your birds utilizing the heated perches. Can you tell me when/how often you see your cockatiel on the new one? & I'm assuming if one is in a sleep cage, then your Senegal actually sleeps perched on it, is that right? Are your winters really cold, or do you use the perches year round?
Jenny
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
white-capped pionus
Flight: Yes

Postby michellet » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:17 pm

I'm "enjoying" the begining of another Australian summer, and today we're expecting a maximum of 36degC...so the thought of a heated perch for Missy is a little absurd :lol: I've been spending the morning making frequent trips outside to the patio aviary to mist the budgies with water to try to keep them more comfortable....I dont even think theres anywhere in Adelaide where I could buy a heated perch!
Feathered kids
:budgie: Charlie (tame)
:budgie: Snowy (tame)
:gcc: Missy (tame)
:pied: Skittles (tame)

Non-feathered kids
Emma - 14yo
Tom - 11yo

Michelle - Me :)
michellet
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: budgies
cinnamon green cheek conure
lutino cockatiel

Postby TheNzJessie » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:22 am

michellet wrote:I'm "enjoying" the begining of another Australian summer, and today we're expecting a maximum of 36degC...so the thought of a heated perch for Missy is a little absurd :lol: I've been spending the morning making frequent trips outside to the patio aviary to mist the budgies with water to try to keep them more comfortable....I dont even think theres anywhere in Adelaide where I could buy a heated perch!

its hot in new zealand too! i just got home from work at the zoo and washed a mask of sunblock off my face.....ANT STILL GOT SUNBURNT!
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby Shani » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:16 am

michellet wrote:I'm "enjoying" the begining of another Australian summer, and today we're expecting a maximum of 36degC...so the thought of a heated perch for Missy is a little absurd :lol: I've been spending the morning making frequent trips outside to the patio aviary to mist the budgies with water to try to keep them more comfortable....I dont even think theres anywhere in Adelaide where I could buy a heated perch!

Oh man, you poor things. I'm in Victoria - we've been getting mostly 28 - 29 C days (humidity is through the roof though, ugh). Did you guys get any storms recently? We had a shocker a couple of days ago - flooded half the town (and my garage for the bajillionth time). Looking to get a crapload more rain in the next few days too.

Sorry to derail the thread, excited to see another Aussie on here :thumbsup:
Shani
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby zazanomore » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:21 am

-12 and snowing here in Ottawa, Canada...fml

As to the heated perches, they sound like a good idea, but I'd be a little hesitant to use them. Considering my grandparents house burned down because of a heated blanket.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby Kim S » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:40 pm

One of the people in my parakeetclub gave me a tip for making heated perches in the aviary. During the hollidayseason everybody uses the light ropes. I have no idea what you call them but they look like this:

Take a pvc pipe slightly larger than the rope and pul the rope through the pipe. That will take away most of the light and distributes the warmth more evenly.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby footfoot » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:34 pm

Look on Amazon.com. Handy reviews there.
Here is the link:
http://www.amazon.com/K-H-Thermo-Perch- ... 051&sr=8-1

I keep my Senegal out for most of the day, but at night he sleeps on it. Birds are so susceptible to the cold, even the slightest of breezes that I wouldn't have a bird without one.
They seem to shiver at the slightest temp. variation.
Our cockatiel does sleep on it at night.

I live in RI, so a bit chilly here. Birds like it warmer than we tend to keep it. They are from Africa and SA after all.
Senegal-age 3
footfoot
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal- 2 years old.
Flight: No

Return to Housing