Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cage setup: the chronically pooped perch scenario

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Cage setup: the chronically pooped perch scenario

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:57 pm

Ever feel as if you are in a giant game of whack-a-mole? I FINALLY got Scotty's cage set up to where he's not regularly dropping poop onto a perch at the food dish level from his roost perch. In the same cage cleaning session, I set Scooter up with one more perch higher in the cage (I discovered he wanted one there when I gave him a stuffed pine cone treat for the holidays and rather than eating it, he sat on it) and a re-bendable rope perch instead of the comfy perch... and now the rope is getting pooped on. I'm going to have to take it out and wash it, and then figure out how I can fit it in there without it being in poop range of any of the other perches.

Clearly Scooter needs a bigger cage! Right? I do wish we had about 6" more horizontal space.

Can the rebendable (zig-zag) rope perches be washed in the clothes washer? I think there may be a metal core in there.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Cage setup: the chronically pooped perch scenario

Postby captwest » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:45 pm

I don't know about washing the rope perches, let us know how it works out.
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels

Postby Kathleen » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:51 pm

I didn't realize it was possible to put them in the washing machine but now I'm curious about it, and if the spinning inside the machine does any damage to the ends/knobs. In the past, I've tried to clean rope perches with some warm water, but they never got as clean as new after being pooped on with that method.
Kathleen
Amazon

Flight: Yes

Postby captwest » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:53 pm

We're going to let you ruin yours first. :lol:
captwest
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels

Postby Becco Lunatico » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:32 pm

captwest wrote:We're going to let you ruin yours first. :lol:

Too funny Cappy. I just today removed one of these so I'll throw in with a few towels, would also work well to put in a pillowcase?...if it were the sun season here I'd hang it in the hot sun for a few days to solarize it...

"Whack A Mole"....*still giggling*
"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." ~Mark Twain
Becco Lunatico
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conure, Three Budgies

Postby captwest » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:49 pm

Hey Becco, let us know how it turns out.
captwest
Amazon

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:33 pm

Ah ha! A sacrificial victim!

I've heard you can put Comfy Perch perches in either the clothes washer or dishwasher, but have never done it myself...
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby Becco Lunatico » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:43 pm

captwest wrote:Hey Becco, let us know how it turns out.

Will do Cappy!
"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." ~Mark Twain
Becco Lunatico
Cockatiel

Postby Becco Lunatico » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:46 pm

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:Ah ha! A sacrificial victim!

I've heard you can put Comfy Perch perches in either the clothes washer or dishwasher, but have never done it myself...

You're the the scientist in this flock, out of curiosity, would you put one in your dishwasher, hmmm??? Curious about the heat and if it would...er...well you know...be okay to eat after???
Becco Lunatico
Cockatiel

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:10 pm

I've washed horse boots in the dishwasher as well as horse bits, so I might not be the right person to ask! I would worry if the plastic in the thing was safe at dishwasher temperatures. And if I was feeling particularly sanitary, I'd probably wash the offending thing by itself rather than with my dinner dishes. I might even do an empty load in between.

However, if the machine has a "sanitize" setting or indicator and all the organic debris has been removed from the dishes and silver in the machine, it should be perfectly safe to eat off of them, they will have been heated sufficiently to kill off most of the bacteria etc. And yes, I have eaten off dishes washed in dishwashers in which I have washed horse boots that got dirty in arenas with plenty of horse poop.

Anyone wanna come over for dinner?
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

(Un)Cape Parrot

Next

Return to Housing