Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cage Brand Information

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Cage Brand Information

Postby lotus15 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:45 pm

This list is an alphabetical collection of my online, word-of-mouth, and in-person research and experience into cage brands.  None of the following is endorsed by any cage company, and I do not receive any sort of payment or compensation to advertise or disparage any of the companies below.  I also do not intend to encourage you to buy any one cage over another, but simply to compile some of the comments you might find on the web, were you to scour and interrogate online reviews and forums, bird stores, and all of your parrot-owning friends as I have.  The few cages brands I do or have owned, I am able to go into a bit more detail with, and I welcome you to further question me should you be interested in more information. 

A&E (Made in China; Warranty: 3-6 months on powder-coats; 2 years on SS)

An economy cage company.  I have found several complaints about their cages, the most serious and alarming being extremely high levels of lead in their paint.  This I found on a few sites but the most thorough is probably Happy Birdy.  I have heard some people express concern that their SS cages weren't actually medical grade, but haven't read any proof of this.  A lot of cage store owners that I've spoken to say that A&E is like a cheaper quality version of HQ, even though they appear to be manufactured in the same factory in China, along with King's Cages.  (That being said there are many happy A&E customers too, but I probably found more negative reviews of A&E than any other company.)  

Animal Environments (Made in the USA; Warranty: 5 years on powder-coats; lifetime on SS)

They used to be the "gold standard" for cages back in the 80's, but apparently the company's owners went through a divorce and it has never quite been the same.  I have read several reports of awful quality, flimsy cages, problems with peeling paint and rust since then.  Terribly quality packaging and almost always shipping damage. Some complaints also that the tray is plastic.  Even more complaints about possibly the worst customer service ever. Their pre-problem cages, however, are apparently some of the best and are still holding up after decades.

Avian Adventures (Made in China; Warranty: 6 month on powder-coats, not including damage to the paint even if it occurs as a result of shipping; 3 years on SS)

Many people mistakenly think that they are made in the USA because their corporate headquarters are in the Midwest, but they outsource their manufacturing to China. So far I have read no reports of toxicity but several people have complained about rust after as little as two years as well as problems with the fact that the bars are drilled rather than welded (water gets inside, etc.).  In general, most people that had experience with A&E, HQ, and AA all preferred AA.  Ever since they were bought over (relatively recently, perhaps in the past two years), however, it seems that quality has definitely taken a nosedive.

Blue Ribbon

Forthcoming.

Cages by Design (Made in the USA)

They have a few lines of cages, including "furniture-style" cages (which I don't care for) as well as outdoor aviaries and such.  I've only met a few people with them but they say they are generally pretty decent.  Not rave reviews but generally pleased customers.  I think they cater a little bit more towards corporate clients though as their furniture-quality cages look like they belong more in a showroom and are not quite as functional for the discerning bird owner (they include things like acrylic panels, mesh screens, wood exteriors).  Would love to hear more feedback from people who own their cages though. As for their aviaries, I've only met a few people with them but most agree that they are decent enough-- one complaint about the panels not fitting together well / properly.

Expandable Habitats (Made in the USA; Warranty: lifetime) 

More simplistic (re: boxy) in design, but very high quality.  They only do SS, but have the option of non-magnetic 304 (medical) grade or 316 (marine) grade.  They make each cage custom, but they are somewhat limited in their options (you have to stick pretty closely to their stock cages in terms of design).  I have yet to meet somebody that is disappointed by their cages.  I own one of these for Lola and am very pleased with it. Please feel free to ask for more detail.

Featherland (Made in China; Warranty: 6 months for both)

One complaint about the powder-coat rusting, but overall decent reviews on quality and workmanship.  The company is no longer producing their powder-coated cages anymore, however, and will only be continuing their SS line.  For the SS cages, one owner did say that he cut open a bar and his cage wasn't actually solid SS bars but plated because it was hollow, and another owner also expressed doubts that her cage was also not 100% SS. Other owners however said they felt solid and very high quality. I contact the company and they said they were solid.  Several reports of extremely sharp edges that need sanding or dremeling.  They distinctly do not warranty their SS cages against rust.  They also seem to have several issues with shipping damage.  Just about ever person I've spoken to has had their Featherland cage arrive with damaged parts.  My powder-coated cage arrived with broken bars, but the company was very good about immediately sending replacement parts, free of charge.  I have heard, however, that they are not always so good about it if the part isn't distinctly broken but rather is simply damaged. Please feel free to ask me more about these as well.

Freedom Cage (Made in the USA; Warranty: 6 months on powder-coateds; lifetime on SS) 

Great reviews on their model (off the rack) cages, which apparently are extremely high quality.  Most people seem to love the Freedom Buffet as well.  I know a few people with model cages from the 80's that are still going strong with no rust or wear.  Many variable reports on their custom cages and customer service though.  I used to have a custom built Freedom Cage.

HQ / Laviva (Made in China; Warranty: 3 days) 

Made in the same factory as A&E and King's Cages in China.  An economy cage company.  Also found to have extremely high levels of lead in the paint of some of their cages.  Some others tested, though, were safe.  So, probably very variable quality due to a lack of quality control.  Generally good reviews though.

Kaytee/EZ Care (Made in China) 

I'm doing more research but so far the reviews I've read all agree that they are very easy to assemble and clean-- the entire front part of their cages open like a door so that it is very easy to access the entire interior of the cage. The only cons I've read so far are about the plexiglass fronts-- definitely a design choice for the owner, not the bird's sake.  

King's (Made in China; Warranty: none whatsoever)

They used to be manufactured in Europe, but now all of them, including their "European" line, are manufactured in China.  Before the switch they were tested safe for lead/zinc, but I have not read any more recent reports of paint safety.  I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't though because they are coming out of the same factories as HQ and A&E.  I have however read several complaints about the paint on both the Economy and European line peeling off and the company suggesting to their customers just to "spray paint" it...  Notoriously bad customer service (but then again I know the owner and he has always provided me with great customer service).  No complaints about their SS cages though, except for one report of very sharp edges. 
I own one of their economy line cages, which I really do not like (poorly designed and not the easiest to clean).  I own their aluminum cages as well (both travel and full-sized), however, and am very happy with them.  My one complaint is that the plastic crocks they come with are terrible and should most definitely be replaced.

Mango Pet (Made in the USA; Warranty: 5 years on powder-coateds)

I have yet to find anybody who owns one but I have seen them in person and to me, this is the best powder-coated cage on the market. Plastic trays too though and a very limited range (powder-coats only, three models).  One of the few however with an impressive lifetime warranty on workmanship, and a 5 year warranty on the powder-coating.

Marvelous Pet (Made in China; Warranty: 6 months)

They are a very new company so it is hard to get any info about their staying power and their durability, but several people have told me they have very good powder-coatings on them.  I have seen a few in person and they appear very sturdy and high quality.  A few have expressed distaste about the open-top designs though. Generally most people that own them love them so far.

Northwest (Made in the USA; Warranty: lifetime against welds, workmanship, and rust)

They seem to be pretty much the highest quality and most expensive custom cage company out there, and they work only in 304 medical grade SS.  The cages they turn out though are beautiful and the owner can really do just about everything custom, right down to the smallest details, because the owner does everything himself.  Super pricey though and because it is one guy running the company, the lead time is quite long and there may be unforeseen delays during the process.  His customers are all incredibly pleased though.

Prevue Hendryx (Most [all larger cages] are manufactured in China) 

I've heard awful things about their cages for smaller birds (their Featherstone Heights line is downright dangerous and inappropriate, their large flight cage is supposedly incredibly flimsy). But I have heard very little about their larger cages and their quality. A few complaints about the fact that none of their bowls are dump-proof, and one person that said their cage is flimsy and that the parts don't fit together well. 

YML Cages (Made in China)

They make a lot of the smaller wire cages you see all over pet stores. One thing that really bothers me is that they make a lot of ridiculously small cages, as well as round cages. As for their larger parrot cages, I've read some complaints about latches and lack of food doors as well as the food holders-- most owners agree that they are not appropriate for macaws and cockatoos. One complaint about the plastic bowls not holding up too well and yellowing as well; another about the spot welds on the grates breaking easily. I did however read about one person that had the paint tested for heavy metals several years ago and they came back clean. In general they have a decent/good reputation as an economy cage. 

Other Companies

I would add California and Innovative Cages but it seems they are no longer in business, sadly.  They were two non-Chinese-made cage companies (made in Mexico) with great reputations. Centurion Cages is also out of business but they were made in China too. Aviantelligence (also China made) is currently stopping production. Unfortunately the owner of Broadwell Cages has passed away and they are no longer in business. However, they were manufactured in the USA and were supposedly extremely high quality, top of the line.

Hope this helps. There was one other cage company I'd meant to add recently but it escaped my mind. Please feel free to request information on other companies. I am always willing to do the research; this is a bit of a hobby / obsession of mine.
lotus15
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cape Parrot, English Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Cage Brand Information

Postby lotus15 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:18 am

Any feedback?
lotus15
Conure

Postby captwest » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:56 pm

Thank you for all that research, i buy my cages used off the internet or make my own. Most of the used cages can't be ID'd so i can't really help with any comments. I do plan on building SS cages in the next year or 2 and would be happy if you could find the time to look over my work and comment, Thanks again for all that research, good work, Richard
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels
Flight: No

Postby lotus15 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:13 pm

captwest wrote:Thank you for all that research, i buy my cages used off the internet or make my own. Most of the used cages can't be ID'd so i can't really help with any comments. I do plan on building SS cages in the next year or 2 and would be happy if you could find the time to look over my work and comment, Thanks again for all that research, good work, Richard

I would LOVE to see what you're planning on building. The more research I do, the more I find it is soooo difficult to find a great cage for the little guys... I really want my budgie to be in either an American-made powder-coated cage, or a quality and appropriately sized stainless steel cage, but it seems those are impossible to find for budgies. I am thinking of building one. Would love to see your ideas!!
lotus15
Conure

Postby captwest » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:53 pm

You know that for a budgie you can get SS mesh that can be welded together, shouldn't really be all that pricey.Just alot less labor than a welded wire by hand cage.
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels

Postby Giantmoa » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:57 pm

It's great to have reviews like this around, I often browse cages online just for the heck of it but its hard to know what brands are good and which ones just don't hold up. Plus there's the dilema of finding large cages with small bar spacing! I don't actually know what brand my cage is because it was on sale at some small petshop. It works great though, I have no complaints since it is roomy and pretty solidly built, perfect for my gcc. In the future when I can get a second bird I'm definetely going to need a reference like this one around to narrow down cage options
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby lotus15 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:04 pm

Giantmoa, glad to help :) This list took years of research!

captwest wrote:You know that for a budgie you can get SS mesh that can be welded together, shouldn't really be all that pricey.Just alot less labor than a welded wire by hand cage.

Yes actually-- that's exactly what I'm looking in to!! I'm not the handiest though, so I'm going to need some outside help as well. I'm in the process of ironing out the details and such :)
lotus15
Conure

Postby michellet » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:01 am

Great work! Thanks for sharing :)

I wish there was a greater choice of cages available in Australia...i've looked at ordering from the US over the internet but the freight charges are obcene! It seems that owning larger breeds as companion birds, rather than aviary birds, isnt as common in Australia as it is in some other countries so the lack of demand for larger, quality cages means choice is limited and prices can be high.
Feathered kids
:budgie: Charlie (tame)
:budgie: Snowy (tame)
:gcc: Missy (tame)
:pied: Skittles (tame)

Non-feathered kids
Emma - 14yo
Tom - 11yo

Michelle - Me :)
michellet
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: budgies
cinnamon green cheek conure
lutino cockatiel

Postby RedDragon1288 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:14 pm

Thank you lotus15! I'm very glad to have found your post. I would like to know more about the Expandable Habitat because I've been interested in their product. I bought a Custom Stainless Steel Cockatoo Animal Environment cage for my CAG last year. It is a semi-welded with 1 inch bar spacing with a pull up grate. It is extremely sturdy and heavy for one person to take apart and put back together. I love the cage and Animal Environment is less pricey than other American-made companies but I'm not oppose to other brand. So what's your opinion with E.H. and how long with you owned it?
RedDragon1288
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Parrot

Postby GlassOnion » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:47 pm

Check out her blog, she has LONG expandable habitats reviews for her two cages.

I found you a page with all of her EH reviews, just keep scrolling down :)
http://cocosflock.wordpress.com/tag/exp ... -habitats/
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Next

Return to Housing