Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cage Rust

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Cage Rust

Postby Kathleen » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:46 am

I imagine that if a cage gets rusted, it is probably not suitable to keep a bird in it anymore. How long does a cage typically last before it gets rusted? Has anyone repainted a rusted cage?
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Re: Cage Rust

Postby Mona » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:21 pm

Hi Kathleen:

You can sand the cage down and have it re-powdercoated.

It will depend on how much you want to spend and what the cage is worth. Some of the older California cages are very nice, stable and sturdy. I found one on Craig's list for $150 and had it re-powdercoated for about $350 all told. When the cage was new, it was about $1,000 so it was worth it for me to do that. Honestly, I don't think they make bird cages like they used to any more. A lot of the companies have gone out of business.
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Postby Kathleen » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:09 pm

I guess it depends on the initial investment that you make on a cage. If you buy a cheaply made cage, you get what you pay for and you'll have to replace it more frequently, but maybe if you buy the better quality (more expensive) cage initially, it will last longer and will be cheaper in the long run.

I just wonder cause if I clean a cage with water, it's not always easy to wipe the water out of places
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby Crazy Bird Lady » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:08 am

I live in a rental property, and am lucky enough to have an aviary in my backyard. It is a little rusty, as we live right by the beach (everything is rusty lol) but now im wondering what is the major risk from rust exposure?

My budgies have been living in the aviary for a year and a half (except when i brought them in over winter or when we get wild or hot weather) and i can tell they love being in there. So far they have all had a high level of health and wellbeing, and i havent noticed anything adverse...

Do you think that overall, they are better being in a semi rusty aviary where they get free flight and lots of stimulation from all kinds of sources, or is it better that they are in cages where they are more restricted but not exposed to rust?

I can ask my landlord about redoing the wire, but she likes things to be left alone...so im not betting on it yet.
parrots arent mere ornaments, and they're hardly "just a pet" they are intelligent and emotional creatures who want our companionship. As a bird owner, its a pleasure to make my parrots lives as happy, enriched and healthy as possible
Crazy Bird Lady
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: 5 Budgies and 2 Cockatiels

Postby triplebbirds » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:43 pm

I think it depends on the individual bird. If your bird is eating the daylights out of the cage and going at the rust then yeah there could be damage being done. I have birds that dont touch the sides of their cage. I have some that doesnt matter what they will go after every inch of the cage.
triplebbirds
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Postby TheNzJessie » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:46 am

this is a tricky issue to deal with but if its just a budgie or a cockatiel cage it would be cheaper to throw it out and buy a whole new one. but if its a massive cage you keep a African grey, macaw or cockatoo in (examples) then yea getting that part of the cage sanded and re coated would be cheaper. but i would not keep a bird in a rusty cage at all.if u notice rust and cant to anything about it for a while try to cover it with something like non toxic tape...just a thought, i have never had to deal with rusty cages of my own only at the pet store i worked at
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby pinkparrot » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:36 pm

G'day,

I am new here and am writing to you from Australia. :airmail: Are there any other Aussies on this list? :cockatoo:

I need some advice. I bought a powder coated cage roughly a year ago and left it outside not realizing that powder coated cages should not be left outdoors. :cry: Now it is very faded and I have noticed that the powder coating is coming off of it in a bluish ting whenever I run my hand against the bars of the cage.

I am assuming that the cage is now unsafe to use and that I have ruined it by leaving it outdoors. I am wondering where I can get it sanded and repainted? Has anybody on here ever had that done to a damaged cage before? What sort of places should I contact to see if it can be sanded down and re-powder coated?

Can anybody out there help me?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pink Parrot
pinkparrot
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Flight: No

Postby pchela » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:35 pm

Hi and welcome Pinkparrot.
You are correct that the cage is no longer safe for a parrot to live in. You can get it fixed though.
If you can find a place that paints cars you should be good. They will usually do powder coated paint jobs and will charge by the size of the item to be painted. Good luck!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Return to Housing