Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How do I get my 2 (almost 1 year) budgies to take a bath?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

How do I get my 2 (almost 1 year) budgies to take a bath?

Postby Parakeet » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:18 pm

Ever since I got them, I have been using a gentle water spray to clean them, but i was wondering how could I get them to take a bath from like a little bird tub or just like a bowl?
Parakeet
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: How do I get my 2 (almost 1 year) budgies to take a bath?

Postby michellet » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:22 pm

I dont know if its possible to make a bird want to bathe....it seems that they either want to or they dont! My GCC loves bathing and jumps into her water bowl everytime i put fresh water into it (so i have to change the water again almost straight away :lol: ), and some of our budgies love bathing...others have no interest. Charlie and Snowy (our indoor/handtame budgies) are a prime example....Charlie loves jumping in and out of the bath attached to their cage but dislikes being misted/sprayed, and Snowy loves being sprayed, but wont go near the bird bath. Just offer them the opportunity, and if they want to they will....and keep up with the spraying if thats what they enjoy :)
Feathered kids
:budgie: Charlie (tame)
:budgie: Snowy (tame)
:gcc: Missy (tame)
:pied: Skittles (tame)

Non-feathered kids
Emma - 14yo
Tom - 11yo

Michelle - Me :)
michellet
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: budgies
cinnamon green cheek conure
lutino cockatiel

Postby Margaret » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:02 am

Here is what is working with my 4 Monsters ;)
Bottle spray from the beginning was their enemy, so I dropped that idea.
What I do is buy plastic container- the same to keep frozen food- from a dollar store, I remove the top. Container is about 2 inches height and about 6x6 inches. You can try different size of course. I tried once with more deep container and they seemed to be scared- too deep for them.

I feel the container 3/4 of room temperature water and put it on the top of their cage. And here is the trick- if I put the same container somewhere else(playgym or another place they are going), they will not use the bath. Only on the top of their cage.
And they have a fun for about 20-30 minutes. I always do it with my supervision, to make sure nothing happened to them. And I do it the latest time is afternoon- it gives them plenty of time to dry before they go sleep.
All the males seems to love it, first goes mango(the boos) and then rest of males: Coconut and Plum.
Blueberry(female) doesn't seems interested at all.
Good luck!
Margaret
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, Cockatiel

Postby Dave » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:38 am

I have a birdbath that I got from Petco
http://www.petco.com/product/110196/Insight-Bird-Bath.aspx
It fits in the opening of the cage, but I cut the bars and have it mounted permanently. I fill it with warm water in the morning and they argue to see who can get in first.
It took them a while to figure it out. I bet if you use this in place of their normal water supply, they would be in there within a week. My budgies are not big bathers, at least not like the cockatoo, but they do get their beaks in the water and flip their wings around as if they are getting wet.
The water gets dirty quickly, so I still have another water tube for them.
Dave
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: budgies
goffin
senegal

Postby TheNzJessie » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:12 pm

some birds prefer showers and some prefer baths and some dont mind. if he lieks being prayed (Like my budgie) i dont see the harm in him not bathing
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby patdbunny » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:24 pm

You can try putting we lettuce leaves on the bottom of the cage. Some birds will roll around in wet lettuce and that's an introduction to the idea of bathing in a shallow bowl.
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.
Flight: No

Postby htop » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:42 am

When Ike, my lovebird, first became part of our family, I attempted to get him to bathe in a birdie bath and various bowels and containers inside of his cage. He had no part of it. He didn't enjoy being misted (had to do it while he was caged); however, he tolerated it after about the 4th time. I didn't enjoy misting him because I knew he didn't like it and I had to dry his cage and everything in it; however, it was necessary. When he was allowed to be free from his cage, I introduced him to a glass pie pan by placing very small bits of broccoli it it. Once he became used to perching on the pie pan to obtain the broccoli, I placed a very small amount of water in it. When he would go after the broccoli, he became used to his head becoming wet when he grabbed it. Gradually, the amount of water was increased. I moved the pieces of broccoli in the pie pan so that he had to stretch to get it and get his chest wet. Eventually, he hopped into the pie pan with shallow water in it and joyfully discovered that he could bathe. I quit placing broccoli in the pie pan. Now, the pie pan is filled at least 3/4 deep and he happily bathes when he wants to do so. He prefers cool water. Ike hops in and out of the water splashing all around until he is totally wet. The pie pan is placed on top of his cage. It is such fun to watch birds bathe.
htop
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Peach-faced lovebird

Return to Housing