Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Need advice on a new cage -please help me decide :) :)

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Need advice on a new cage -please help me decide :) :)

Postby idlepirate » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:35 am

Hi,

ok so im probably one of the most indecisive people there is and ive wanted to get lorenzo a new cage for quite some time. i thought next month is perfect for his first birthday. at the moment you can all see the cage hes using from his videos. this cage is too small but hes only in it to sleep at night and never is in during the day. hes become completely spoiled and sometimes extremely irritating by flying where he wants and when he wants---on me mostly or attacking whatever im doing or using as im giving that more attention then him. he keeps trying to fly after me when i leave the room leading to a 10minute delay or putting him back in the cage and running out, putting him back, running out...etc. you should know what i mean:)
anyway so i need to put him on a new dicipline routine thing and give him his time to himself to play with his toys and entertain himself for a bit and not depend 100% on me. he has loads of toys but i can only hang them in the cage and since hes never in the cage he never plays with them!i hung some on his bungy and those are the best bet for him to play with as they're hanging away from the cage but even those hes not bothered with if im in the room because its more fun to bug me for attention. my room is birdproof so hes been ok to be left alone out of his cage while im away but ive also been working from home all this time. starting soon working out again and id prefer him to have this time inside his cage like normal parrots. this way hell also learn to appreciate his freetime more and earn it.

back to the point....
i dont know which cage to get him:( i do want to get him the best one available but i also havent got too much space in the room. id like one where i can hang enough toys for him to enjoy without it getting cluttered and for him to feel there is enough space.

looking on ebay ive found these 4 which are the best ive found so far. please if anyone knows a better cage let me know so i can try find it here also.
lorenzo is a bluethroated conure so hes roughly the same size as sunconure- officially they're bigger but to me they look the same size. definitely bigger then a green cheek conure.
which do you think is the best?or should i look for a bigger one?

cgi.ebay.co.uk 2011-3-28 15-23-18.png
cage 3
cgi.ebay.co.uk 2011-3-28 15-23-18.png (266.69 KiB) Viewed 6420 times

cgi.ebay.co.uk 2011-3-28 15-1-16.png
cage 1
cgi.ebay.co.uk 2011-3-28 15-1-16.png (91 KiB) Viewed 6420 times
Attachments
cgi.ebay.co.uk 2011-3-28 15-29-49.png
cage 4
cgi.ebay.co.uk 2011-3-28 15-29-49.png (88.75 KiB) Viewed 6420 times
cgi.ebay.co.uk 2011-3-28 15-2-23.png
cage 2
cgi.ebay.co.uk 2011-3-28 15-2-23.png (249.44 KiB) Viewed 6420 times
idlepirate
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue Throated Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Need advice on a new cage -please help me decide :) :)

Postby kaylayuh » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:34 am

I personally really like the corner cages, though I don't have one. Compared to the other three, it looks small and like it'd be really short. If your bird is out of the cage most of the day, I'd say that'd be fine.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:57 pm

None of those have a good toy hook on the playtop, but it sounds as if you have plenty of other play space, so that may not be a big deal. Personally, that's the first thing I'd change about both my cages, I'd put a full-width bar with at least 3 spots to mount toys.

You didn't post the dimensions, so it is hard to tell what the sizes are. I might go for the corner cage if it had the most total usable interior space -- I've decided I much prefer a wider cage to a taller one and some day I'd like to get scooter a cage with more horizontal space. Scotty uses more of the vertical space in his cage than Scooter does, but his is also wider than it is tall. Scooter only goes below about the half way mark when he's eating, although when he's out, he'll come down to the seed skirt often -- I think it is something about not wanting to be "on the floor" as well as needing room for his tail. So about half the space in his cage is "wasted" and more width would give more toy-hanging space, too. But some corner cages are two shallow front to back to give good usable space. I like at least 3 outside-acessible food dishes, also, FWIW.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby idlepirate » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:15 pm

thanks for your advice. ill post the dimentions in the morning as i have to find the pages and its pretty late now. ive also been looking more and more at the corner cage due to the fact that is wider(more can be hung around). most cages are hard to find with a good toy design...its a pity:( do you know any which you can recommend maybe i can find it here? these were just the best that popped up on ebay.

i have a question though about the corner cage:
is it hard to fit bars inside it and newspaper for the flooring? the shape is quite odd so if you buy normal perches, are they easy to attach or can you only add those single perches that hook onto one side but dont go all the way to the otherside?
and right now im so used to this square cage to just fit in one page of newspaper every day easily ----im wondering about the shape of the cage if i have to cut paper to fit under?
have to reorganize my room and probably put him where the tv is if its a corner cage.its the only problem with it...finding a corner hehe. i wish i could find a playstand to hang a toy off, none of the cages have one yet. or its a good playstand but a crap cage.grr.
cant wait to buy one:) thanks for the help, dimentions will be posted tomorrow morning.
:pirate:
idlepirate
Conure

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:28 pm

I like bolt-on perches anyway, but I'm sure you can find some of the slot-on types that are close to the right size, or can be trimmed to fit. The paper is likely to be more of an issue. We have this King's cage for Scotty: http://www.kingscages.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=ACP3325. The 3/4" spacing would be a bit too big for Scooter I think, but might be fine for Lorenzo. It's not a perfect cage, but it is pretty nice, it is spacious and it uses standard rectangular liner sheets. May be more pricey than you'd like even if it is available where you are. It also comes as a flat top or a dome top. We also considered this corner cage, which doesn't have the round front and would be easier to fit with paper, it's also a King's: http://www.kingscages.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=gc14022w. I wasn't keen on the round, rotating feed door closures here.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby idlepirate » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:15 pm

ok ive decided on the corner cage:) will probably order it tonight.
the dimentions are:

Size is Height 159cm Width 94cm Depth 66cm.

2 cm bar spacing

is this large enough as im no good with size definition. i just really want it to be big enough to be comfortable in. wider makes more sense but i just hope it isnt too short that the bar spacing is right.

idlepirate
Conure

Postby tacotaco » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:23 pm

IDLEPIRATE! i have TWO corner cages for my conures and i LOVE LOVE LOVE them. I was sooo happy with my decision to get them, and they have decreased in price during the last few months.
I pushed both cages together now (to make a half of circle shape)
here are some pics (i didn't have many toys in some pics because they were taken right after i bought the cages):
I also have a bunch on my blog :) good luck!
Last edited by tacotaco on Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Allegra ~ Gold Capped Conure
Willow ~ Blue fronted Amazon
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
Our Blog ~ http://www.lifeistemp.blogspot.com
Our YouTube~ http://www.youtube.com/user/icanpwnUn00b?feature=mhum]
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conures (2), Gold Capped Conure, Blue fronted Amazon

Postby tacotaco » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:29 pm

p.s. It is easy to clean. I do love the width and it allows a nice amount of toys to hang. I do not use paper towel or newspaper on the bottom though, they do sell cage liners in the triangle shape for these specific cages.
I use 'Glad: Press and seal" on the bottom and it works out soo great for me. I also am able to stick the press and seal on the walls to keep them from getting messy. I know you don't live in the states so it may be hard to find that over by you.
As for perches: Besides the wooden one it comes with, I use the perches that are bendable. I have a few different sized ones in their cages and they are easy to place in the corner shaped cages!
:)
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Allegra ~ Gold Capped Conure
Willow ~ Blue fronted Amazon
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
Our Blog ~ http://www.lifeistemp.blogspot.com
Our YouTube~ http://www.youtube.com/user/icanpwnUn00b?feature=mhum]
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conures (2), Gold Capped Conure, Blue fronted Amazon

Postby idlepirate » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:15 pm

thanks so much tacotaco, your cages look great like that when you add them next to eachother! thats exactly the sort of cage im hoping to get. so awesome as well to have each bird on either side of the bed in the corner:) really organized hehe.
its hard to tell how the cage looks with its whitebackground in the picture but your photos really helped to give me a proper idea how the cage will look at roughly what height in a room.

ill make a video when i recieve the cage and show you all how he reacts to it:) i really cant wait, been wanting to do this for months now.
it just sounded small how cheap the cage is (129pound) you're right cage prices went down alot.

as long as its easy to clean and big enough for a conure to keep them happy then im happy :) :) :)

havent heard of 'glad' over here but im going to look it up online, there might be a place to order it or find something similar.

thanks so much again for your pictures and advice
idlepirate
Conure

Postby idlepirate » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:30 pm

tacotaco, what size are the cages you have?
are they round about the same as the one i ordered? Height 159cm Width 94cm Depth 66cm?
then i can plan my room out better :D
idlepirate
Conure

Next

Return to Housing