Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

housing a grey with other birds

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

housing a grey with other birds

Postby stephensgirl74 » Sun May 15, 2011 11:15 am

I have a Congo grey she has an outdoors summer aviery it is 8 feet tall by 10 foot long by 3 foot wide. My husband wants to get 2 mourning doves to put in the aviery with my Congo grey. Will they live together in peace?
stephensgirl74
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo grey
Flight: Yes

Re: housing a grey with other birds

Postby kaylayuh » Sun May 15, 2011 11:29 am

I'm not a fan of mixed species cages or aviaries. Even with ample space to get away from a bothersome roommate, another bird may attack and somebody could get hurt. It's just not worth the risk.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby pchela » Sun May 15, 2011 12:38 pm

No. The Grey would likely kill the doves or at least seriously injure them.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby stephensgirl74 » Sun May 15, 2011 1:21 pm

kaylayuh wrote:I'm not a fan of mixed species cages or aviaries. Even with ample space to get away from a bothersome roommate, another bird may attack and somebody could get hurt. It's just not worth the risk.

See I was worrying about this too. I won't even let the dogs around calypso and they have been togetherf since calypso came home from the breeder 3 years ago. I don't think putting the doves in is a good idea at all. But my husband is pushing pretty hard. That is why I came here. I am hoping that if enough people say it is not a good idea he will change his mind. He is not a bad man at all he just thinks I am being to much of a mother hen. Calypso loves to watch the doves in the yard when they are feeding and she loves to COO like a dove, but I don't think she would want to live with them. I mean would you even keep a mated pair of cag in the same cage or would they each have their own cage?
stephensgirl74
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo grey

Postby kaylayuh » Sun May 15, 2011 1:26 pm

stephensgirl74 wrote: I mean would you even keep a mated pair of cag in the same cage or would they each have their own cage?

I believe most mated birds live in the same cage. But those are same species birds and not two different species with a large size difference between them. Even though your bird may seem friendly and as though it wants to be around other birds, it's just not safe to do. I have three birds that get along splendidly, but I never allow them to spend time living in the same cage. And even though they spend time in eachother's cage fairly often, I would never consider shutting them in there to live together. There's been way too many horror stories of mixed species aviaries or cages ending up with birds dead.

If he really wants some doves, get another aviary or a build a divider for the one you already have.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby captwest » Sun May 15, 2011 3:37 pm

I think the biggest issue is putting pet in with wild birds, not a good idea.
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels
Flight: No

Postby TheNzJessie » Mon May 30, 2011 5:20 am

if you dont want to build another aviary but want more birds a divider would be your best option
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby dusty » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:37 am

i have an outdoor aviary and it houses two BF amazons and my congo african grey...the grey harasses the amazons...lucky the amazons are bigger than the grey...they do get along at a distance in the cage...i would not suggest putting the grey in with doves...this is just asking for a bad situation...put in a partition..
hope this helps

dusty
dusty
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: congo african grey...
blue fronted amazons...
sun conure...
green cheeked conure..
green pacifics
Flight: No

Return to Housing