Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bar Spacing for GCC?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Bar Spacing for GCC?

Postby Hails » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:05 pm

I think I found a great cage for my future GCC but I'm worried that the bar spacing is nearly an inch. Would the bird be able to get its head stuck?

Here's the cage, by the way, with all the dimensions.

If the bar spacing is too big, what sort of cage would you recommend then? My bird would be kept caged if I can't supervise it so I want it to be roomy enough to play and flutter his wings.
Hails
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red-Cheeked Cordon Bleu Finches
Flight: Yes

Re: Bar Spacing for GCC?

Postby Jenny » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:37 am

An inch is too big. There are probably threads on bar spacing you could find using a search here, if you wanted to research some more. Here are some guidelines though.

http://birdcageportal.com/bird-cage-size-guide
Jenny
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
white-capped pionus

Postby Mum2rory » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:16 pm

I would suggest bar spacing is too big. I have cinn gcc and he wa in a cage with that spacing. I was watching tv one nite and heard him croak. There he was sitting on top of cage (has the same "wire" on on roof as walls) Put him back in cage and watched, he climbed thro the roof again. Hee didnt climb through the walls though, maybe just wanted to watch some tv, LOL. Needless to say, I went and bought him a new cage the very next day as I have 1 dog and 2 cats. Safety first with all animals, I say.
Budgies - Harry and Billy
Cinn GCC - Bailey
Blue Quaker - Malakai (Kai)
Cockatiel - Rhyly
Mum2rory
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies, 1 Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure, 1 Quaker , 1 Cockatiel (and 1 sadly missed Cockatiel who flew away Sept 24 2011. Miss you sweety)

Postby Cage Cleaner » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:04 am

Snipped
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Bobioden » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:14 pm

Bar spacing for a GCC should not be over 5/8", some say 3/4" but I think that is too wide. I have seen videos where the spacing was 3/4" and the GCC just climbed right through.
Bobioden
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Return to Housing