Okay, so I am beginning to panic now. I am bringing home a green cheek conure tomorrow and the room where his cage will be is quite chilly. Currently, we heat it with a small space heater, and it didn't occur to me until now that it might not be okay for the bird! I have no idea if it is perfectly safe or if it could potentially kill my bird within minutes!
I am going to call the manufacturers tomorrow and ask if they use any non-stick teflon type things in their heaters, but I don't want to rely on their word.
Does anyone know what a safe way to heat a room is? I need to either find out if our heater is safe, or find another option before we bring him home. Please help.
The heater is a Sunbeam brand, product number SCH720UM. I don't know if that means anything.
Also, the bird's cage will be in the main level of the house, but the upstairs is heated by a gas fireplace (that isn't on too often). Is this safe? Would a carbon monoxide detector prevent any issues?
I don't know why I haven't thought much about this yet. I guess it had only started to get cold a week or two ago.
Thank you for the help!