Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

PLEASE HELP. What heaters are safe?!

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

PLEASE HELP. What heaters are safe?!

Postby lwis » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:06 am

Okay, so I am beginning to panic now. I am bringing home a green cheek conure tomorrow and the room where his cage will be is quite chilly. Currently, we heat it with a small space heater, and it didn't occur to me until now that it might not be okay for the bird! I have no idea if it is perfectly safe or if it could potentially kill my bird within minutes! :o I am going to call the manufacturers tomorrow and ask if they use any non-stick teflon type things in their heaters, but I don't want to rely on their word.
Does anyone know what a safe way to heat a room is? I need to either find out if our heater is safe, or find another option before we bring him home. Please help.
The heater is a Sunbeam brand, product number SCH720UM. I don't know if that means anything.

Also, the bird's cage will be in the main level of the house, but the upstairs is heated by a gas fireplace (that isn't on too often). Is this safe? Would a carbon monoxide detector prevent any issues?
I don't know why I haven't thought much about this yet. I guess it had only started to get cold a week or two ago.

Thank you for the help!
lwis
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: PLEASE HELP. What heaters are safe?!

Postby Michael » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:41 am

Not sure about the specific one you have but I've been using and recommend this style (not specific unit):

These are fully enclosed and usually thermostat controlled so they can safely be left on all the time on low and unattended. The ones that look like a toaster oven turned on its side (besides teflon) may also pose a threat to the parrot when it is out of cage by being too hot. Using an oil filled heater like the one above ensures you can run it on low and no one will get burned if they touch it by accident.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby lwis » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:40 am

Thank you Michael. So I called the manufacturer of the heater we have and the told me that they do not use teflon in any of their heaters, but they cannot guarantee that there may not be trace amounts, but they are pretty sure it would not be enough to harm a bird. I don't know if I should use it now. I am paranoid about any non-stick stuff in everything now!

I did look up an oil heater similar to the one you pictured. Are all oil heaters safe (no teflon) or do I have to call the manufacturers too? Also, I read that they get hot and birds can burn themselves, so don't use them, but don't most things that give off heat get hot?
Also, we do have baseboard heaters in all the rooms in the basement, but haven't used them in a while because there is a piece of furniture pretty close to them, but I could move the furniture. If need be till I find an appropriate space heater, would the baseboard heaters be okay (no teflon, or other deathly issues with those)??

Also, I did mention that the upstairs is heated with a gas fireplace. Is This Okay?? The bird will not be housed next to it or anything, or even on the same floor. he might hang out there a bit with us sometimes though, but not for hours and hours.
I have just heard so many stories of birds dropping dead for 'no reason' and now I am so terrified that I am going to overlook something.
I am almost shaking as I type this because I am so nervous my little guy is going to drop dead when we bring him home. I have researched nearly everything else in depth, but am so unsure when it comes to the air he is going to breath. It is scary because what could kill a bird in the air, I may never be able to detect.
lwis
Cockatiel

Postby Michael » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:28 pm

I think you're overthinking it a little too much but still better safe than sorry. As far as I know, the kind I have don't have any teflon. In the hottest setting, it's enough to get burnt but it's also enough for the bird to feel the heat before landing on it and avoid it. In the coolest setting it's not enough to get burnt. I think this kind of heater is more effective on a low setting and always on as opposed to some of the other kinds that are small but get really hot.

The fireplace doesn't sound like a big deal especially since heat and fumes rise. Not sure if it's safe for the bird to be in the same room though if it is in any way open.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby lwis » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:54 am

Haha. I am totally over thinking it. I tend to do that. I bought a oil heater and a carbon monoxide detector(and put it near his cage) because the rest of the house is gas heated.
The little guy :gcc: is now home and is getting acquainted with his new cage. It is huge compared to the one he was in before. He seems to be quite calm and comfortable with everything...so far. All he wanted to do was cuddle when we brought him home, and he even fell asleep under my chin. I am so pleased. The only thing is that when we put him in his cage and we put our hands in it, he got a bit nippy. I figure he is just testing his boundaries and as long as we don't take our hand out of the cage every time he bites, he will eventually get bored and not do it. I hope. I do not want to encourage any cage aggression.
Anyway, I appreciate your responses. Thank you for the advice!
lwis
Cockatiel

Postby Shelby » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:12 pm

My parents just installed a ceramic heater into one of our rental units. I don't know if it is made with teflon, but it blows heat from the bottom and is cool to the touch everywhere. It is also thermostat-controlled. I am not sure if it is electric or propane-fueled. You might look into ceramic heaters.
Shelby
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't have a bird yet
Flight: No

Return to Housing