Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Flight? Sleep? Confused

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Flight? Sleep? Confused

Postby patti » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:24 am

Grey_Moon wrote:My timneh actually sleeps in her travel carrier at the head of my bed every night. In my mind it is both necessary for her, and a safety issue for me. I know that, in the event of a fire or some other emergency in the middle of the night---she is *NOT* going to come out of her main cage quickly and easily in that situation. So she sleeps in her carrier, so that if need be, I can jump out of bed, grab her and go.......so for my grey, she sleeps in her birdie backpack with the side flaps rolled down (the front flap is left up so she can see out) on a table surrounded by my housecoats...creating a sort of bush for her to retreat into to sleep.

thanks for this post. my lily sleeps the same way as your grey... always in her birdie hut, which is filled with fleece to cuddle in. sometimes it hangs her cage, but most of the time her birdie hut is surrounded by blankets on the table next to my bed. i tuck her in and then come back a few hours later to sleep myself. my thinking was like yours - if there is another northridge quake i want her right next to me or i will lose her for sure. also, she likes the company when she goes to sleep and wakes up. it really makes a difference for her. i have been worried about her waking up in the middle of the night and crawling around and getting into stuff, but she doesn't seem to move. i don't keep her in the bed with me of course... does your grey ever get up and "leave the bush"?
patti
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Jenday Conure, Blue Crown Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:44 pm

I suggest you get yourself a 'night' cage because a loose bird in a human room is not what you would call the safest - birds panic in the dark if there is a loud noise or something out of the ordinary and she could hurt herself. A night cage would keep her safe and still allow all the benefits you are looking for.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:58 pm

Coming back from the vet I put the carrier on the floor instead of putting it away. I found Rambo taking a nap in it.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Holden1960 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:15 am

I have only today bought another cage for our bird to sleep in in another part of the house.

The main cage is in our living room and so I wanted to be able to provide our bird a nice quiet little spot in another part of the house to get some quality sleep time.

I figure if we do this from day 1, it will just be part of his routine. At the end of the day, the kids have their designated rooms, why would I subject a bird to staying in the noisiest part of the house when it really wants some peace and quiet to check out the inside of its eyelids?
Holden1960
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:18 pm

Great decision! I am beginning to think that a psittacula might end up working out in your household :thumbsup:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Housing