Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Gl

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Review: Petco Designer Mink Brown Standing Parrot Habitat

Postby Pomlover2586 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:53 am

We were going to try playing with that other grate tonight.....thought it was odd that if you removed the upper tray the bird could escape- the store display had the grate inside the play area tray- not below it. So I assumed it was part of the play top area. Husband hadn't seen the store model so he didn't try placing it in first. We will have to do that tonight......I want my swinging rope to actually SWING! LOL :swaying:
Iago- WBC
Zazu- BHC
Pomlover2586
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White Bellied Caique, Black Headed Caique
Flight: No

Postby Eurycerus » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:27 am

After a significant amount of thought I have just purchased this cage.I assume that the cage tested negative for toxins? How has it been serving those who own it?
Eurycerus
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegals
Flight: Yes

Postby Cage Cleaner » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:02 am

Ok
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Eurycerus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:05 am

I'm still in love with it but yes there are a lot of nooks and crannies that get filled with food and toy debris. However, it seems that all cages have that issue. I love the size though and nika does too!
Eurycerus
Amazon

Postby S_Toast » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:15 pm

Anyone using this cage w/o the seed skirt? I was thinking of buying it for my Maxi but I loath seed skirts. I just sold my manzanita play gym because I didn't have room for it in my tiny home. Having a play top cage would be really nice. I also downsized Bucket from his 36"x36" cage to a temporary 20"x20". I need to find him something bigger that won't break the bank very soon. My big cage was welded so the seed skirt didn't come off and it made the cage closer to 42"x42". Just didn't have room for it. It is now his outdoor cage. I love the color of this cage since I've gone with a rustic woodsy theme in my home.

Also, would the bar spacing be okay for a tiel? Bucket has a buddy that keeps trying to move into his cage but right now it's too small for both of them. Oh and the buddy belongs to a friend (who is trying to get me to adopt it).
"What kind of bird are you?"-Bucket
S_Toast
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Maximilian Pionus

Postby Eurycerus » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:59 pm

The seed skirt is detachable and you definitely can use the cage without the seed skirt. Quite a few people around here do that. It's not a problem for me but the cage does not fit through a door, just so you know. Also I love the size but it is huge.

The bar spacing is safe for a cockatiel, 1/2 inches.
Eurycerus
Amazon

Postby vany22 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:53 pm

Hello all I am new to this but i felt it was very important for me to share the information i found out about this cage. I have been searching for a large cage for my conure, Remie he is the only bird i have and is my baby. I found this cage while searching and thought WOW thats a good deal. However it was strange that is said nothing about who made the cage and if it was safe for birds. Like i said i am new to all this but i do know that alot of cages that come from china are not safe due to the paint. I called Petco they said they make the cage...yeah no they don't make cages. I then called around to 4 local stores until i found a young lady who said that she would check the box on the one in the store for me. She gave me the only info she found on the box INTERNATIONAL PET SUPPLIES & DISTRIBUTION INC. so i began my search to find information on them. Turns out there a subsidiary of PETCO in SanDiego, CA i found that interesting so i called the number i found 858-453-7845 no ans. I have not been able to find out alot of info on the company or their cage. I am sure its not made there so i am thinking its made in China. Anyone have any suggestion on how i can go about making sure this cage is not toxic to my bird. It is a great size and right in the price range i have to spend but i will not put Remi in a cage i am unsure of. Has anyone who has this cage had it tested for lead? I would realy love some help who knew getting a new cage could be so hard....
vany22
vany22
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure crossed with a Dusky conure.

Postby Eurycerus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:25 pm

It's not painted, it's enamel coated. Although this isn't necessarily conclusive, I have read tons of reviews for this cage from many, many parrot owners and there has been no mention of death or sickness from this cage. My Senegal has been in it for seven months now and no issues. She also tried to chew on it but no flaking has occurred. I'm pretty sure PetCo would get in some serious trouble if they were selling cages comprised of dangerous metals to parrot owners. Although it is possible. I'm not sure if Cage Cleaner ever did the zinc test but you could pm them and find out.
Eurycerus
Amazon

Postby vany22 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:06 am

Thank you for the information I agree with you that you would assume a pet store would not sell a cage that could make ur pet sick but in today's world I have no faith in big bussiness. I do however trust others who love there birds. It makes me feel more comfortable buying this cage knowing you have had a good experience with it.
vany22
Parakeet

Postby vany22 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:44 pm

Wanted to update everyone about the cage. I decided to go ahead and buy it as it would provide Remie with the largest space for the money I had to spend. I rec'd the cage 3-18-13 took one week to get it once ordered. Putting together was not so bad and other than the pans and seed guard it is a nice cage for the money. He seems kind of lost in it right now but once he gets used to it I am thinking he will love the room. Time now to get some more toys to fill it up...thanks for all your help everyone.

* also the pans where bent like many others and one panel with bars that i had to bend back.
vany22
Parakeet

PreviousNext

Return to Housing