Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What size cage do you have your birds in?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Postby Natacha » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:12 pm

My Pois have this cage this cage.

It's 24" wide x 22"deep and 32" high on the inside. They actually use the entire cage, from top to bottom.

One day I might get a model up for them (34" wide), but for now it seems plenty. They come out of their cages a minimum of 3 hours a day.

Piper has this cage.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: What size cage do you have your birds in?

Postby Michael » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:30 pm

Kili basically has this cage.

It is 18x18x32 on the inside which I think is sufficient. She barely ever uses the bottom half anyway. Most of her activity is concentrated to the top 18x18x18 of the cage.

I think that the opportunity to spend time outside of the cage and particularly freeflying outweighs virtually any increase in cage size from a basic minimum. Unless it's a cage they can fly in, I think being out is just irreplaceable with cage size. Of course a slightly bigger cage + freeflight couldn't hurt.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Kathleen » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:40 am

Duke's cage is the green one from this picture:
I had trouble finding it online but finally I found it, it's made by prevuepet.com.

The dimensions are apparently 26”L x 14”W, 5/8” wire spacing. This cage was originally meant for a cockatiel, and it's rather big for just one budgie. It's probably a comfortable enough size for 2 or 3 budgies.

I set up a lot of different perches for Duke on different levels to try to encourage him to climb around, but I can tell by the droppings that he has 3 favorite spots and that's it. His sleeping perch, the perch with the best view of his food bowl which is also a hiding spot behind a toy, and a spot on the floor of the cage. For some reason he likes the floor in one spot in the corner near the back. He always goes there and sleeps there too.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby miajag » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:05 pm

My Quaker's cage is similar to the one Michael has for Kili, an 18x18x32 with a "play top." Some people seem to think this is too small or the bare minimum size for a Quaker but I'm of the opinion that as long as the bird gets a lot of out-of-cage time (mine is out of her cage whenever I am at home and awake) it's quite sufficient. She really only sleeps and eats in there anyway. She has a play top and separate play gym that she has access to, and I'm going to make her a separate freestanding perch/play gym out of PVC soon. I think between that stuff and the ability to fly, she's got plenty of room. I would agree that a Quaker or similar sized bird who isn't let out much probably should have a larger cage, though.

This is her setup (sorry for the low-quality cell phone pic):

miajag
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar

Postby pchela » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:26 pm

My Senegal and Caique have 28 x 22 cages. My Red Belly and Meyers have 24 x 22 cages. I am one of those people that feels that 18 x 18 is minimum size for a cockatiel or lovebird. Anything bigger like Senegals etc. should have at the very least 24 x 22. This is with lots of out of cage time. My guys are out whenever I am home but they still spend a lot of time in their cages playing even if the door is open for them to come out. I find that even my big cages are lacking in room once toys and perches etc are in the cage. I always tell people at the store that sure, you may be able to sleep in a closet, even move around a bit, but wouldn't you prefer a nice big bedroom? If a bird is out all of the time, and only sleeps in the cage, then I guess 18x18 would suffice, but most people leave their houses. They work, they go out to eat, they go out of town. That adds up to a lot of time the bird is in it's cage, even if it's out whenever the owner is home! A cage is a birds territory, it's own personal space. I think we owe it to these creatures, who were meant to have the entire sky as their playground, to at least provide them with a decent sized home. Okay. Lecture over.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby kimbo » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:51 pm

chico :senegal: has a two tier lib and when i can actually understand how to upload photos to this site i will put photos of bird and cage and me and bird. im not very computer friendly.
1.jpg
1.jpg (106.28 KiB) Viewed 14713 times
kimbo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal
Flight: No

Postby skthurley » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:35 pm

Jack is in an HQ flight cage which is like 3 feet wide and 4 to 5 feet tall. He used to be in the blue one on the right in the picture kathleen posted.
It was sufficient until he became flighted and started needing more out of cage time to fly. He started demanding to be out the moment we came home, and while he usually got 3 to 4 hours of out of cage time per day, there were some days (about once a week) he couldnt get out due to busy work schedules... and he was very unhappy. He would scream to be out, and pull angrily at the door of his cage whenever he saw that we were home. So I upgraded him, and he is much happier in his new cage. While, he still needs time out, he isn't demanding it like he used it and i feel less guilty on the day he doesnt get a chance to be out of his cage.

Kiwi is in an EZ Care cage, with the cage-top playstand and glassfront. It is about 18 inches wide by 22 inches tall. She is in need of something larger, but I'm saving my money, and hoping to get something with a cagetop playstand, but not be quite as big as Jack's flight cage. My husband wasnt very happy with how big Jack's cage is, and has told me that Kiwi's cant be quite that big. I'd love to get her the same cage as Jack, but I really like having the extra playstand that the cage-top provides.
Shandi's Fids
Jack the Ripper ---> Pacific Parrotlet
Kiwi ----> Greencheek Conure
Scooter ---> Senegal
skthurley
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Green Cheek Conure and Senegal

Postby MissLady9902 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:30 pm

Noodle's house is 22x33 with a playtop. Grey in color.

Marvin's house is 32x32 with a playtop. Green in color.

Finches have an aviary that is 31x40. Grey in colore

My diamond dove has 29x18. White in color

Marvin measures at least 13 inches long. He wasn't standing very still so it's not an accurate measurement. ;)
(he was trying to "help" measure so I measured him too)
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:02 pm

Scooter has one of these: Image 18x20x28.5". In retrospect I'd have gone even bigger, but he seems happy and he's out quite a bit.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby issy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:53 am

Sheldon's cage is a HQ flight cage.

It's dimensions are: 32" W x 20" D x 59" H

Image- Sheldon

Image- Evey
issy
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow Lorikeet
Sun Conure

Next