Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What's at the bottom of YOUR cage?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: What's at the bottom of YOUR cage?

Postby KimberlyAnn » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:35 am

Emmi's sleep cage has no grate at the bottom and the bar part of the cage fits down into the plastic pan and clips down. She never uses her sleep cage to go potty or chews anything. She crawls in on her own at bedtime and I normally wake her up as I'm moving around in the early morning. No playing or exploring goes on in there. Recently I thought, why do I have her on paper towels in there when I can neroticly treat her like a princess? (lol) So I took a cotton pillow case, put it over folded fleese, and put the cage part over that so she can't get stuck inside the pillow case. The first night I watched her jump down and freeze. She looked straight down with one eye for a long time, then flopped on her side, started her beak grinding, and went to sleep. She's like, whatever crazy human. I'm too tired for this crap. Lol
My family: "Emmi" Green Cheek Conure (12/15/2012), One husband, two step kids, and one baby boy born in January 2015!
KimberlyAnn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby GreenWing » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:38 pm

Pajarita wrote:the paper is supposed to go under the grid so the bird doesn't end up foraging in his own poop.

My Senegal would do this, however Chance would never! She only eats meals out of her dish. She is never at the bottom of the cage, either. And I think even she knows that would be gross, lol
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:11 am

KimberlyAnn wrote:Emmi's sleep cage has no grate at the bottom and the bar part of the cage fits down into the plastic pan and clips down. She never uses her sleep cage to go potty or chews anything. She crawls in on her own at bedtime and I normally wake her up as I'm moving around in the early morning. No playing or exploring goes on in there. Recently I thought, why do I have her on paper towels in there when I can neroticly treat her like a princess? (lol) So I took a cotton pillow case, put it over folded fleese, and put the cage part over that so she can't get stuck inside the pillow case. The first night I watched her jump down and freeze. She looked straight down with one eye for a long time, then flopped on her side, started her beak grinding, and went to sleep. She's like, whatever crazy human. I'm too tired for this crap. Lol

LOL - GCCs are such cute little clowns, aren't they?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Scotty » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:24 pm

Paper Towels, just roll them away and not much mess to deal with it!

I highly recommend using them, makes life cleaner and simpler for you! Unless your critter starts ripping them up, but might leave them alone...
BeBe :gcc:
Scotty
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby plang » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:31 am

I just use plain white paper , because I don't think the ink exposure is good if they walk or chew it. I also see old phone books being used as chewing toys , there is alot of ink in those pages !
plang
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies & Meyer's

Postby Kaiit » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:20 pm

Newspapers. We used them at the bird sanctuary for all species because they got changed twice a day and I just kind of stuck with that. I only change my parrot's papers once a day but he does most of his pooping at night (or on the hard floor) so his cage keeps pretty clean. He also does forage on the floor of his cage but he has never touched food that has gone in his poop! He also never bothers playing with the paper.
Kaiit
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Red-lored Amazon.

Postby cockatiels15P » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:13 am

Newspapers of course.
Did you know that ink helps elliminate bacteria?
:greycockatiel: ~ ||[Tina]||
cockatiels15P
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby DanaandPod » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:57 pm

newspaper. its easy. And, it comes in the mail every week, therefore its free. And, you can monitor the poop easily. Sounds like some people here dont have a wire bottom if their birds get under the paper. Strange.... ?
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby liz » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:53 pm

No wire. It is easier to change paper often than to scrub the wire.

:pied: Sweetie got really dirty with news paper and Tommy got into too much trouble.
I now use white freezer paper with a layer of timothy hay. They watch me put it in and the first hour is full forage time. They eat it, kick it, throw it around and basically have a party in it.
They must know who takes the first poop because everyone goes back up at the same time and don't forage until I put fresh in. Of course I end up with green cockatiels.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby marie83 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:15 am

liz wrote:No wire. It is easier to change paper often than to scrub wire.

totally agree. I took the wire out when I thought mine were sick. I got a lot of critism from a vet I emailed for help for that but ollie was on the grate picking his poop off of it. It was much easier to change the paper several times a day.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

PreviousNext

Return to Housing