Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What's at the bottom of YOUR cage?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: What's at the bottom of YOUR cage?

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:55 pm

I use the bottom grids with the paper under it. Every day, I scrape the grid with a SS stripping brush and change the paper. I don't like my birds foraging on their poop.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby TooLove » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:39 pm

I use puppy pads. No grate...I don't like scraping poo off of it and my 'too would constantly walk all over it anyway and go 'shopping' for all the things he had dropped from the morning meal. He had to lay down on the grate and stick his leg allllllll the way through to just barely catch things with his toes. I like bird poo on his belly even less, so now he gets to shop freely and he now chooses to lean out from the side of the cage rather than walk on the bottom anyways.
:cockatoo:

Follow us on instagram: http://www.instagram.com/danellejc
TooLove
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: U2

Postby mikella » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:21 am

Old owner used bedding (I don't like the idea of this for many reasons), I currently use newspaper on top of grate and change it every day (sometimes twice).

I like to keep an eye on poops, and at this point, there's no way I could put the paper under the grate and remove the metal tray without scaring him half to death. I wouldn't have to worry about him hopping to the bottom of his cage tho and getting into poop. How much of a concern is this? (getting into poop)

Interesting to see the suggestions in here.
mikella
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure

Postby Wolf » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:16 am

I use newspaper under the bottom grate, although this has scared a bird or two when I pull the drawer a couple of times, they seem to get used to it pretty quickly.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:16 pm

Yeah, me too. I do have the paper on top of the grid in the budgies, finches and tiels cages because I have birds with no feet in them and they need a solid surface to stand on (or their little stumps would fall between the wires) so I just change their paper twice a day, once before breakfast and again before dinner.

Good call on the bedding. There isn't a single one that is not a breeding ground for bacteria and fungi! And it's impossible to judge the quality of poop so they are double whammy dangerous for birds!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Housing