Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hand held Steam Cleaners for cage? UPDATE: Review Added

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Hand held Steam Cleaners for cage? UPDATE: Review Added

Postby Pomlover2586 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:02 pm

One word. UGH!!!!! I have spent the last 3.5 hours cleaning my cage. For those of you who don't know I have the Mink Brown Cage from Petco- there is a thread about it on the housing board.

First off I clean my cage daily- wipe down obvious poop excess food on bars etc nightly with unscented baby wipes- So my cage is not filthy when it comes time to the weekly cleaning. For the weekly cleaning I pull out the grates and trays and wipe both sides, switch out a few toys and wash off the perches/swings.

This time I wanted to sanitize the cage and clean out the areas I don't get to very often. I did my regular weekly cleaning, and them I went over everything with the steam cleaner. The steam cleaner itself was easy to operate and use- heated up in about 10 minutes, but other than fogging up the metal for a few seconds I couldn't notice any drastic cleanliness difference. I removed the seed guard, switched out the screws for larger ones (the originals fall out a lot) and wiped down the inside of each seed guard.

After 3.5 hours of cleaning I didn't try to zap the deep grooves in between panel connections....just too pooped lol. I will try this, just not today. Overall I can see the potential for the steam cleaner, but not in a daily use capacity.
Iago- WBC
Zazu- BHC
Pomlover2586
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White Bellied Caique, Black Headed Caique
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:30 pm

Told ya.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby gjbarnes » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:26 pm

I agree with Michael, we used the bissell spotbot as well.

Did the job and Fred loves his cage again now - which is the most important aspect :swaying:
My latest marketing project is related to spring cleaning, http://www.bissellproheatreview.com/bissell-proheat-2x-range.html,but I'm not a clean freak :)
gjbarnes
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: scarlett macaw

Postby janetafloat » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:02 pm

I got a hand held steam cleaner recently (I'm in the UK so the make won't be much use to most of you). I have to take the cage into the bathroom to clean it with the steamer which works well because my bathroom is a wet room - don't know how it would work otherwise as it would make a mess of the floor which would then have to be cleaned up. As it is, I just spray it all down afterwards. As Michael says, the steam is good for softening up any hard poop but it still needs to be scrubbed after, so I'm not sure there's any benefit over just spraying and scrubbing. In theory steam will sterilize but it has to be held on that spot for at least 10 seconds and I for one don't have the patience to do that over every square inch of the cage! I'm somewhat disappointed with the steamer and was thinking of taking it back but it did a really good job of degreasing my small grill/oven which was caked in grease and it works great on the laminate floor in the kitchen where I stand the training perch and the base of the training perch, which is glass, both of which can get very poopy and if I don't clean it off immediately can get very caked on quite quickly (sorry I'm a slob, what can I say :lol:). Cage wise though I don't think you can beat a good spraying and scrubbing with a brush followed by a spray of F10.
janetafloat
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby marie83 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:56 am

janetafloat wrote:. In theory steam will sterilize but it has to be held on that spot for at least 10 seconds and I for one don't have the patience to do that over every square inch of the cage! .

This is why I wont get one. My ex used to have one designed to lift the dirt off carpets but without getting down on your hands and knees and scrubbing the carpets too it was a waste of space, may as well have just sprayed it with warm water for all the good it did.
As you also pointed out they are good for other things but I find doing the job the old fashioned way is alot less hassle time wise if a bit more effort.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby christoph » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:55 pm

I use Spotbot http://cleanthiscarpet.com/bissell-spotbot-pet-low-weight-and-price It scrubs, soaks, and sucks the mess away in about 5 minutes. I do use my cleaner in the cage for seed guards, perches, toys, and hard to reach areas. It's just not the solution for cleaning all the cage bars, grates, and stuff. :macaw:
christoph
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: macaw

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:48 am

I don't think any of them are harmful to people...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Housing