Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New Cage Introduction

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

New Cage Introduction

Postby sift » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:02 pm

I was positive that I'd read some tips for introducing a bird to a new (larger!) cage somewhere on this forum but I can't find them to save my life. I apologize if this is a repeat of a previous thread.

The situation is this:

Mirri currently lives in a small cage. It's actually smaller than the cages that we sell at my store for a cockatiel starter kit. She is, obviously, larger than a cockatiel and therefore requires a larger living space. I have a cage on order that should be here this week. It's a fair size and will definitely be a LOT roomier than her current cage but I've read that switching a bird to a new cage can be a fairly stressful event. I figured that since I've already uprooted her from her home I need to be extra special careful about giving her more reasons to be worried and I'm hoping that everyone can give me some advice regarding how to go about making this latest transition as smoothly as possible. I'm thinking that initially I'll just let her play on her new cage with the door open. There's a playstand on the top so she can hang out there and I'll put her in it and then give her a treat and let her come out again a couple times before actually closing the door on her. I was going to put some new toys in for her but she doesn't seem all that interested in toys, period. Any other suggestions or ideas would be very much appreciated.
sift
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue-headed Pionus
Flight: Yes

Re: New Cage Introduction

Postby magonicolas@me.com » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:36 pm

Hi sift, 2 days Ago My new Cage (bigger) Arrived from USA ( im from Chile)
It was an Aluminium Cage.
The way I introduce it to my bird was like this:
I start opening in front of his cage ( I took hem out of his cage).
Then I assembly it in front of her.
Then she came close to investigate, I let her investigate And put some food she like inside the cage, then she entered, i didnt close him de door, just wait for her to get used to the cage.
Then I took her out of the cage and make him go inside by herself again.
Then I just change all her things to new cage.

The most importante tip, Dont force him to a new thing, the best way to introduce a new THING ( anithing) is to play whit it and make the bird curious about it, so he comes to see wat is going on.

Hope it helps.
magonicolas@me.com
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Re: New Cage Introduction

Postby Michael » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:36 am

Personally I would just stick my parrot in the new cage and that's it. Just walk away and let her figure it out for herself. Then again she isn't fussy and I've been putting her in different cages, carriers, and places since I've had her and I rearrange her cage every month. So I do not know if you can do the same with your bird and do not necessarily recommend it.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Return to Housing