Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Best cage for a Cockatiel

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Best cage for a Cockatiel

Postby aminnajam12 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:40 am

Thank you for sharing this information and big thanks to Eleri Dragonfly. He gives me the best details for reading and understanding how to buy a cage.
aminnajam12
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Odonnell » Thu May 21, 2020 11:47 pm

We just adopted four parrots, my wife didn't want to buy new cages so we agreed to use some totes we already had lying in the shed. The only issue was how to secure a water bottle as most water bottles are made for cages. After some quick thinking and research I came up with the solution.
Odonnell
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Navre » Fri May 22, 2020 6:33 am

Bowls are better than bottles for water. If a cage doesn’t have a place for bowls, you can buy clamp-on bowls that work pretty well.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri May 22, 2020 8:38 am

Parrots should never be made to drink from a bottle. It's not only completely unnatural to them (they are all undomesticated species with exactly the same needs as their wild counterparts so everything in their care should be as close to nature as possible), it's also potentially dangerous - especially if you feed pellets. Parrots are not hard-wired to drink a lot or often, they are crepuscular feeders so they only go down to ground at dawn and at dusk (thus, no water all day long) and they evolved to eat a VERY wet diet (between 85 and 95% water content) so, when you free-feed dry food and use a bottle -that gives one single drop at a time- you are, in effect, creating a chronic case of subclinical dehydration in your bird. This ends up damaging their kidneys and liver.

Furthermore, a cage that has no set-up for bowls is NOT a bird cage.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Savage Sturgis » Wed May 27, 2020 7:14 am

I think the first thing when choosing a cage for a parrot is that the space is wide. It is like a house to it, and we will spend a lot of time with them. So we need to find one that both we and the parrot like. I think the cages need a bar spacing, the quality of the product must be good. Because too small and narrow will create discomfort, stuffy leading to the parrot will easily be depressed. Here are some criteria when selecting my cage, you can refer to some more information there. I find them quite informative and some of the reasons for choosing them. Hope you find a suitable one for your parrot
Savage Sturgis
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 27, 2020 10:12 am

Well, although most people would choose a cage THEY like for their bird, in reality, it only needs to be comfortable to the parrot - looks are not important.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Housing