Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to keep Mingo from climbing to floor?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: How to keep Mingo from climbing to floor?

Postby Michael » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:04 pm

If I may offer a positive reinforcement alternative that has worked great for me:

Parrot Training Perches

Combined with extensive positive reinforcement trick and flight training on them, the birds learn that these stands are their place and readily fly to them just to hang out. They can be strategically placed around the room or house to provide the birds a safe "bird approved" place to land. Between the cage tops, trees, and training perches I have provided, except to land on me, the birds barely ever land on any places not meant for birds.

I also build custom parrot trees. Inquire if interested. I give 10% off and free shipping on any product (including trees) when combined with a set of
Parrot Training Perches. Many people have already taken advantage of this discount. The trees and training perches use the same type of perch to make it even more recognizable as a place the bird is allowed to go. I can't keep up with the orders so these aren't listed publicly yet so you have to contact me directly if you want more info.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Pricey_boy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:49 am

I had a reoccurring situation that I wanted bandit to stop but eventually I realised I can't stop him so I gave him all the freedom he wanted now this problem had stopped
Pricey_boy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: 3 galah cockatoos
Grey and white weiro
Long billed corella
mutation scaly breasted lorikeet
rainbow lorikeet

Postby wildwindkennels » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:57 am

Hi there,
I have the same problem and after much thought I have decided on two options:
1) Put a wide pipe over the vertical legs (mine are 3') but the problem is finding something that is pliable enough to slice vertically and flexible enough to open to put over legs yet not so soft bird can get a grip.
2) My mostly likely option, screw a sheet of plexiglass or wood over the two sides.
Goal: remove anything their feet can grip to from platform to floor.
Good luck, will start on mine in a couple of days. Kinda late tho as my baseboards all eaten. lol
Wendy
wildwindkennels
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Moluccan Cockatoo
Flight: No

Postby Merlin » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:04 pm

Question my Red Lord Amazon started this again after over 15 years of climbing down his cage, even with side seed catchers. I do have two Beagles who have been trained not to touch Merlin. Yes you can train you dog to no touch your bird and alert you when issues happen. I do have a cat and she is trained as well. He just started doing this again the last two months. I do correct him, he does know commands. When I correct him it's not bad boy and back in his cage. He is left out of his cage when I'm home; ( home a lot ) HELP and why after all these years back to doing this. He turned 23 July 20! I have lived at my current home for six years! HELP! Serious soon he will be jailed baited 24/7/365
Merlin
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red Lord Amazon

Postby Wolf » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:30 pm

Locking him up all of the time is not an answer to your problem, as it would be cruel as well as inhumane. I would think that the most likely cause is that your bird wants and needs more attention from you. My Grey parrot does this same thing, but only if she thinks that she needs more time with me than she is getting, if I give her a little more time with me then she does not do this.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:36 am

Yep, he/she wants more attention and got tired of waiting for it so he/she is taking a more proactive approach. But I would strongly recommend you do NOT rely on your training with the dogs and cat. Beagles are hunting dogs and although they can be trained, the prey drive is genetically bred into them (even the pet quality ones have it although the field ones have it much stronger) so they can NEVER be trusted (same as a cat).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Housing