Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Ruppells Parrots

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Ruppells Parrots

Postby Natacha » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:34 am

Ryan416 wrote:I have located 3 baby Rueppelli Parrots at a breeder in Ontario. I was originally looking for a Senegal but I find these very interesting. Should I be concerned because of how little is known about Rueppell's in captivity, or is it a chance worth taking? I would assume they are only 2nd or 3rd generation...
:senegal:

If you don't mind telling, how much is the breeder asking for them?
Do you know if he/she had the pair for a long time? I know a breeder in Montreal who used to have a pair but doesn't anymore, I wonder if he sold them to make space for new pairs of other birds.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby lzver » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:23 am

Natacha wrote:
Ryan416 wrote:I have located 3 baby Rueppelli Parrots at a breeder in Ontario. I was originally looking for a Senegal but I find these very interesting. Should I be concerned because of how little is known about Rueppell's in captivity, or is it a chance worth taking? I would assume they are only 2nd or 3rd generation...
:senegal:

If you don't mind telling, how much is the breeder asking for them?
Do you know if he/she had the pair for a long time? I know a breeder in Montreal who used to have a pair but doesn't anymore, I wonder if he sold them to make space for new pairs of other birds.

You got your eye out for a Ruppell's now too Natacha ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby dvalland » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:34 am

My little budgie boy has a clean bill of health! And I think I solved the problem. Yesterday I came across a lady rehoming a small female green cheek conure due to the owners health issues. I went to see her yesterday and fell in love. She climbed right onto my hand, talked to me, danced for me an let me rub her all over. I took her home and almost instantly my budgie perked up. He hopped around his cage and chirped back and forth with her. They will be kept in separate cages of course but will be allowed together when supervised. The conure has been with budgies previously and is very well socialized with other birds. So hopefully this will make my budgie boy happy and I am excited about my new feathered friend too!
dvalland
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: English Budgie
Flight: No

Postby lzver » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:09 am

dvalland wrote:My little budgie boy has a clean bill of health! And I think I solved the problem. Yesterday I came across a lady rehoming a small female green cheek conure due to the owners health issues. I went to see her yesterday and fell in love. She climbed right onto my hand, talked to me, danced for me an let me rub her all over. I took her home and almost instantly my budgie perked up. He hopped around his cage and chirped back and forth with her. They will be kept in separate cages of course but will be allowed together when supervised. The conure has been with budgies previously and is very well socialized with other birds. So hopefully this will make my budgie boy happy and I am excited about my new feathered friend too!

I'm glad to hear the little conure made your budgie excited and congrats on the new addition.

But you should consider quarantining the new conure for at least a month. You don't know the health of the new conure and you haven't confirmed the health of your budgie (not that I recall anyways). If one is sick you could possibly infect the other.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Michael » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:14 am

Kim S wrote:
The Ruppels’s Parrot, a bird susceptible to stress.

After reading about problems with Cape parrots he drew comparisons. The Cape Parrots are very susceptible to stress and tend to just ‘fall ill and die’ after changes in their environment. The author remembered that just before his Ruppels started dying, he bought a pair of Senegals and Redbellies who populated the aviary next to the Ruppels. They weren’t ill, but the changes in the environment were too great for the Ruppels to handle. He housed the remaining pair in an aviary where they did not have contact with the other birds, and so were not disturbed by any changes. He never had any problems since.

Capes get over stressed and die from household changes!? :o

Or is this strictly about imported wild caughts?
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Kim S » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:39 am

Michael wrote:
Kim S wrote:
The Ruppels’s Parrot, a bird susceptible to stress.

After reading about problems with Cape parrots he drew comparisons. The Cape Parrots are very susceptible to stress and tend to just ‘fall ill and die’ after changes in their environment. The author remembered that just before his Ruppels started dying, he bought a pair of Senegals and Redbellies who populated the aviary next to the Ruppels. They weren’t ill, but the changes in the environment were too great for the Ruppels to handle. He housed the remaining pair in an aviary where they did not have contact with the other birds, and so were not disturbed by any changes. He never had any problems since.

Capes get over stressed and die from household changes!? :o

Or is this strictly about imported wild caughts?

I believe (based on the original text) this is based on parrots bred in africa and then imported, or indeed wild caught ones. They will be bred as breedingstock so they won't have any socialization at all. And I dont think the househol Cape's nowadays will die if you move your favorite sofa to the other side of the livingroom. But I think its good to keep in mind that they may be more suseptible to stress if anything changes.

To be honoust, I wasn't even thinking of you while I was translating this. But I'm interested to see how your Cape wil fare if anything changes in her environment. Maybe she will have a bad mood for a couple of days an be more difficult to train?
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby Ryan416 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:40 am

Natacha wrote:If you don't mind telling, how much is the breeder asking for them?

From what I understand she has been breeding them for 2 years, along with many other Poicephalus Parrots. Indeed she said the pair came from Montreal, maybe a trade but I don't really know for sure. Price was $800 over the phone.

This news of birds dying from stress is a little unsettling. I will have to ask the age of the breeding pair.
Ryan416
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Ruppell's Parrot

Postby Natacha » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:23 pm

lzver wrote:You got your eye out for a Ruppell's now too Natacha ;)

No no no no no...not now anyways ;)

I have my heart set on a female Red-bellied and then it'll be it for a while. Definitively until I at least own a house and even there...I don't think I'll add many more birds after that.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Previous

Return to Parrot Species