Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Your Flight Safety Arrangements

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Re: Your Flight Safety Arrangements

Postby Navre » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:33 pm

In the event of a water "landing," your seat cushion can be used as a flotation device.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:30 am

Navre wrote:I guess I'm going to try curtains to separate the living room/diningroom from the rest of the first floor. I'm hoping this keeps her out of the kitchen while I am cooking and away from the doors that open directly to the outside.

Ceiling fan use will have to be limited to nighttime only. I still haven't figured out what to do about the tortoise and her heat lamp.

She is just starting to realize that she can fly a bit. She will fly down to the floor and walk to where she wants to go, rather than climb down. The good thing is that she no longer hits the ground like a ton of bricks. She has just 2 flight feathers back on each wing. Her tail feathers are also pretty beat up and shortened because of her antics on her cage.

I have a friend in San Jose, Calif that made his dining room into a birdroom but his apartment is the kind that has a sort of an 'open concept' so the 'dining room' is separated from the kitchen on one side and the living room in another (third wall is solid and fourth has large window) by nothing more than an arch so he put a lattice between the dining room and the kitchen (older couple, hardly ever cook) and a 'movable screen' (frame with lattice inside) that he can either put in place (there are hooks on the sides and the walls) when he is not there and to the side when he is so the birds have access to the living room when he is but stay in their 'birdroom' when he is not. And this 'arrangement' has been working great for the last 4 or 5 years, no accidents or anything -and all his birds are flighted.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GilmoreDaBird » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:02 pm

I have sheets hanging to separate the kitchen from the rest of the house. The stove, electrical appliances, cleaning supplies etc make me nervous. Although, when I cook, he is usually on my shoulder.
Gilmore in slow motion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GituppKr_vw
GilmoreDaBird
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:08 pm

My Birds live upstairs and are there most of the time but if they do go downstairs the doors are always shut and the windows are closed and they wouldn't fly out unless they were startled.And Tiko lives downstairs,Hardly flies and she is in the kitchen and theres only one door that she could fly out an open door and that door is always locked when she is out.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Previous

Return to Indoor Freeflight