Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello from Boston

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Hello from Boston

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:40 pm

And try sugar snaps, my birds don't go much for regular green beans but adore snow peas and sugar snaps - and who can blame them? I like them better, too! :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:00 pm

Peas are my favorite too!

Tried some organic apples today. They were a big, big hit.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:22 am

As her (definitely a hen, obvious by behavior and confirmed by DNA) primary flight feathers grow back, I am noticing that they are a different, beautiful shade of blue. I'll try to get a picture that shows the color. Of course, she seems to be a different color every time the light changes and every time I look at her.

She is doing well, eating well, very active and climbing a lot. She most enjoys climbing on plastic or palm chains, and destroying plastic necklaces. http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product. ... duct=12189
I take the necklace pieces and stiff them in rattan balls and other things that simulate forging. She will spend hours pulling them put of there. I figure it's like forging, but without the excess of sunflower and pumpkin seeds she'd get if I stuffed seeds in there.

He favorite person has become my son. He is her buddy and always the one she will go to to play. If she is scared, she will come to me. It's funny that my son and I seem to have totally different relationships with the bird.
My son left yesterday and will be in Estonia for the summer. The bird is already saying "who is it?" looking for him. She thinks "who is it" is his name, because when his car pulls into the driveway, she would get all excited and I would say, "Who is it, who is it?"
He was away last summer when I got the bird, and it took her a while to accept him once he came home. The thing is, the kid is really tough and feels no pain, so he tolerated all the bites and chewing without reacting and she eventually accepted him. I hope she adjusts okay to him not being here. He gets back at the very end of August.
Last edited by Navre on Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:19 am

She may get a little bit depressed when he doesn't show up when she expects him to, but she also has you and in all likelihood you will quickly become her number one at least while he is gone. So I think that she will do fine with you.
You don't have to be limited to seed for foraging opportunities for Ocean, you can also stuff pieces of fruit or vegetables in the balls for her.
Would love to see a recent picture of her.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Navre » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:25 pm

Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:58 pm

Thank you for the photo, isn't she just beautiful in her pretty green and blue finery?
Wolf
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:05 am

Awwww, look at the pretty birdie!!! GCCs are such beautiful little birds, aren't they?!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:37 am

Pajarita wrote:Awwww, look at the pretty birdie!!! GCCs are such beautiful little birds, aren't they?!

I'm amazed at the amount of personality, intelligence, and affection in this little bird. And noise...and mess... She's louder and messier than my CAG was, but she's pretty awesome.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:39 am

I changed her status to flighted. She flew off the couch and across the room and gain enough altitude to grab the back of my shirt like a chimney swift as I was leaving the room. Seems to me that she's graduated from "falling with style" to flying.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:47 am

Sounds like!
Wolf
Macaw