Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello from Boston

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Hello from Boston

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:32 am

GREAT NEWS!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:12 am

The vet had actually cautioned me that just one flight feather, not even grown in enough for me to notice, can be enough to let a light (she's only 68 grams), long-tailed bird take off, especially with a little wind.

My CAG was a lot more like a cannonball.
Last edited by Navre on Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:18 am

Well, usually, it takes two primaries on each wing because although I am sure that it does make a difference, one half-grown primary is not going to give a bird flight (if, for nothing else, the fact that it's uneven) but even clipped birds can fly after a fashion with a breeze - and that's what makes clipping nothing but wishful thinking in terms of safety.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:48 am

Today she left the top of the cage, gained altitude to about 8 or 9 feet, and "landed" on the top of the couch about 20 feet away. She scared the heck out of herself!

Time for signs on the doors, I guess.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:59 am

:lol: Yes, indeedy! And, if you can manage it, buffer zones!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:10 am

I put signs on my doors : BE WARE OF MYRTLE. It was a reminder to those who knew here and a scare tactic for those who didn't.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:30 am

I have hung curtains up to keep her confined to the living room/dining room area. They won't prevent a determined escape attempt, but they will prevent accidents.

I still haven't figured out the tortoise situation. Those heat lamps could be a problem. They're on 24/7.

This morning she was able to come up off the seat of a chair and land perfectly on my shoulder about 15 feet away. Pretty good for a new flyer.

Of course, last night she got scared by some artillery (I'm told it was fireworks, but it sounded like outgoing artillery to me) and flew into a window pane. I think she pulled up at the last second because she ended up leaving a few tail feathers on the window sill.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:01 am

In my NC house I put up shear to keep Myrtle from going in bedrooms. She learned to land on them then flip her body to get to the other room.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:33 am

In a normal sized doorway, 32' TO 36", I use a 'Magic Screen'. It is a screen with magnets down the middle to hold it closed. Mine is due for replacement as it can only take so much abuse from cats and dogs but it is well into it's second year of service.
Navre, if you will post some pictures of the tortoise area I may be able to make some suggestions.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:40 am

How about using a heating pad for the tortoise? I know they like to bask in the 'sun' so it might not be the best solution as far as the tortoise is concerned, though...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions