Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to Teach Parrot to Step Up and to Come Out of Cage

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: How to Teach Parrot to Step Up and to Come Out of Cage

Postby ASulli0418 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:18 pm

Hello great advice thank you Michael and everyone!
I have had my Amazon Mealy for a little over a week now. He is very smart and has a unique personality and that included being stubborn like me!
:amazon:
I have come into a snag with his training. At times he's great and steps up and has even wanted to go on my hand / shoulder with no problems, but not in acouple of days. lately I have been having a hard time with getting him to step up. I am using a stick that he was stick trained to step up on, but lately he has been refusing coming out of his cage or going back in to his cage and stepping up on the stick, he actually pushes the stick away with his foot.
:irn:
feels like a double standard to me > I am not sure what I should do to correct the problem and, is it something I did? part of me wants to respect him and give him time, but other times It feel like I'm rewarding his stubborn behavior by not coaxing him to step up and come out...

ASulli0418
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Mealy Amazon Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:16 pm

It's a motivation issue. A bird that wants something will look forward to the opportunity to get to do something for you to get something. On the other hand, the bird that doesn't want anything or if fear exceeds desire, you'll get nowhere. This may be special treats, it may be hunger, it may be head scratches, it may be just the pleasure of being out. That depends on the bird and the training you've developed.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby PineappleWine » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:56 pm

Michael,
First off, hello! Im such a fan of you and your birds, you've trained them marvelously!
Secondly, id like to ask for some advice. My 8 1/2 month old Pineapple Green Cheek Conure (who I got about a month ago) is having problems with stepping up. I don't have a clicker yet, but im trying to get her to step up with millet, holding it past my finger so she has to get it.
The problem is, she hates my hand, and no matter how much training I do, she doesn't seem to remember it. Today, I spent ten minutes trying to get her to step up, but she only reached out with her head.
But a few days ago, she would step up fine (although still weary of my hand) for the treat. I was making clicking noises with my mouth, but I guess it wasn't enough?
She loves to shoulder me, and preens my hair, and also lightly nibbles on my lips. I thought this was weird, that she loves to shoulder me, when I heard only well trained birds should do that.
Id love some advice, and thanks for your time :3
Love~ PineappleWine & Baby :gcc:
~ PineappleWine & Baby :gcc:
PineappleWine
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby MrCavyMadness » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:46 pm

Hi! Question for anyone to answer:

I understand that my parrot should be without food for 2-3 hrs a day, in order to create motivation for training.

However, I just got my baby cockatiel on Monday.

After reading this, I realized I've made some mistakes- like trying to target train him on this first day.
Tomorrow I'm going to start out with Clicker Conditioning (although Im almost sure it will take him no time at all.)

Okay here's my question:

My baby is only 8 weeks old, the store told me to freefeed all day until he's done growing.

I don't know what to do. Should I freefeed him still, or still take his food away?

Thanks in advance!
MrCavyMadness
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:55 am

MrCavyMadness
Please stop, no training at this time, this is the time to work on bonding and gaining your birds trust. At this stage of your relationship, your bird needs reassurance and companionship from you, not training and food deprivation.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby MrCavyMadness » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:44 am

Okay, Wolf. Thank you! Any tips for that? I've tried the early taming exercises that have been stated here on this forum, but my cockatiel wants none of it. Here's some more questions for you, Wolf.

Can I pick up even cockatiels by their necks or are they too small?

How do I tame him and gain his trust
MrCavyMadness
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:51 am

Lets move this down into the topics area of this forum. Lets call it " New bird; Taming questions" and go from there.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:56 am

No bird should be picked up by its neck! There is a technique you use when you do hold their neck between two fingers from the back but this is only when it's absolutely necessary as when you need to examine them, medicate them, are getting ready to towel, etc and ONLY with birds that would bite, never with tame ones. How would you like it if a giant alien held you by your neck? Will that endear it to you and make you trust it? Parrots are loving and forgiving but stressing out a baby has dire consequences for the rest of the bird's life as there are several studies that show that birds that are stressed out when young remain high strung their entire lives.

Please concentrate on feeding it right (2 kinds of soft food served fresh twice a day, and different leafy greens) and bonding with him. Tiels are not companion species (these are the ones that work out well for training), they are an aviary species because they are highly flock oriented so been by itself is already highly stressful to them and much more so when we are talking about an 8 week old baby which would still be in the nest with its parents and siblings in the wild so just spend time with him, don't ask him for anything, just give him love. Tiels are super sweet birds and easily become tamed when shown love and consideration.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby MrCavyMadness » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:34 am

Okay wolf, Ill make a new topic.

Pajarita,, my tiel is fed Roudybush mini. He is completely weaned. He gets Roudybush freefed, veggies at night, and a cookable mix from Varietees Bird Shop called Bean Cuisine. Although he refuses to eat the veggies.
MrCavyMadness
Parrotlet

Postby katsou69 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:37 am

Ok! I can easily manage to get her out of the cage. Step up is easy! After all she wants to fly and play. The problem is that she doesn’t step up to go back and flies of my hand even when I gave her a treat.
katsou69
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training