Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Lucky the old man

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Lucky the old man

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:51 pm

This is Lucky. He was found in a park in the winter, in the snow, in 1994. He is at least 20 years old.

He is quiet. He seems to prefer women. He likes to whistle tunes. He is not very interested in becoming friends with my GCC, but he does call to her. He whistles and she calls back with a bunch of squawks and yells. He then looks around and seems to regret ending the silence.

He can fly, but is mostly content to sit where he is put. He steps up every time, but only after an obligatory bluff bite and scolding of my hand. He likes to ride around on shoulders or on an arm or hand.

I put that perch on the outside of his cage. It is too big for him, but it has to be more comfortable than perching on the thin wire on the top of the door. I will get him a more appropriately sized branch today.

He is only here for 2 or 3 weeks. I wish I knew exactly how old he is. He does seem ancient. He looks old around the eyes.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Lucky the old man

Postby liz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:32 am

Where has he been since 1994?

Does he eat fresh food?

I am sure he feels as bad as he looks.

How long have you had him?
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:40 am

My sister-in-law has had him since she found him. He used to share a bird room with several other cockatiels and a CAG. He is the last remaining. He has been here a few days. He will be staying a few weeks and then going back to my sister-in-law.

He perks up around women.

I have been offering him gloop and fruit daily, but he doesn't seem interested.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:04 am

Tiels are not fruit eaters but they do love leafy greens, fresh sweet corn and baby peas -try those and see if he will eat them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:45 am

He is not really as miserable as he looks. He sleeps a lot, but when he is out with my wife he seems happy. She looks a lot like her sister, the bird's owner, so I'm sure this is part of it.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:08 am

Awww, how VERY nice of your wife to take the time to make him happy! Please thank her for me.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:12 am

Lucky got pick up by how owner this morning. He was VERY happy to see her.

My GCC seems to miss him already.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:31 am

Awww, of course she would! A tiel is no competition for your love and right about the perfect size for them as companions -not that I would expect a GCC to mate-bond with a tiel.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:57 am

Lucky is back! Still kicking!

He is riding around the house on my shoulder whistling his head off.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:24 am

Welcome back, Lucky! Still looking handsome (he should have been called Sean -for Sean Connery who will still look handsome when he is 100 years old! :lol: ).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Next

Return to General Parrot Care