Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello from Boston

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Hello from Boston

Postby Navre » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:53 am

Pajarita wrote:How about using a heating pad for the tortoise? I know they like to bask in the 'sun' so it might not be the best solution as far as the tortoise is concerned, though...

It's not so much the heat she needs, but the UV. About the only way to keep a tortoise healthy indoors is to use an "active heat" UVA/UVB lamp. Fluorescent lamps that claim to provide UV don't seem to work for tortoises. She is about a 16 year old, female(suspected by size) Egyptian Tortoise (Testudo kleinmanni).

They are pretty fragile and hard to keep. I wouldn't recommend one as a pet, not that I think you can obtain one now.

She belongs to my daughter, who doesn't even really live here any more. I should really find her a home in a climate in which she can be outside more often. Being out in the sun is the best thing for them. The good thing about tortoises, as far as re-homing goes, is that they don't seem to care if people exist.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:46 pm

She seems like she os going to be a good flyer. Even with limited flight and tail feathers, she is able to pick her spots and land well, usually on my shoulder.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:59 am

Navre wrote:
Pajarita wrote:How about using a heating pad for the tortoise? I know they like to bask in the 'sun' so it might not be the best solution as far as the tortoise is concerned, though...

It's not so much the heat she needs, but the UV. About the only way to keep a tortoise healthy indoors is to use an "active heat" UVA/UVB lamp. Fluorescent lamps that claim to provide UV don't seem to work for tortoises. She is about a 16 year old, female(suspected by size) Egyptian Tortoise (Testudo kleinmanni).

Yes, I know but you can use supplements for the D3.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:35 pm

I'm having trouble getting support at home for keeping the bird flighted, getting another bird, and keeping the bird on a solar schedule. They like her, but they'd prefer her clipped, on our schedule, and alone. I think the assumption was made that she would be all of those things, because that's how the last bird was.

It's frustrating.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:42 pm

I tried to get a picture of the color of her flight feathers. Much more blue.

Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:43 pm

It's a bit out of focus, I tried to snap it while she was stretching, but you can see the color difference.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:01 pm

What are their arguments for not supporting things that would prove beneficial to your bird's wellbeing?
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:49 am

Awwwww, BEAUTIFUL!!!!

What are their arguments? :lol: I bet they are the same as anybody else's: is too much work and they don't really care and/or believe it's necessary.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:43 pm

The additional space taken up by another cage. If I hadn't bought such a HUGE cage for the conure, it might be easier. The cage she is in is big enough for a CAG. I think it is 32x32. We have a CAG at the rescue in the same cage, and several greys in smaller cages, and they really do seem big enough.

The additional expense of a second bird. I spent a lot on the conure this year, as she was at the vet every week for 2 months.

The concern that my health will make it harder for me to care for 2 birds. I acknowledge that I often can't breathe well, but how much does one have to breathe to keep a couple of cages clean? I think the unmentioned concern is that I will die leaving two birds to be cared for.

As far as keeping her flighted, it's the additional rules about doors, and cooking, as well as the curtains I had to put up, etc. We had always been lectured about why it was crucial to keep a bird clipped, in the past, so I guess it will take some getting used to.

The solar schedule stuff isn't too bad. I just have to remind people to stay out of her room once she is in bed.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:30 pm

If your health is not too good, I can see how that would factor in and rightfully so, that is them caring about you.
I think I can also see their concern over the money spent at the vets, but this was not the birds fault and would not be needed for every bird and they really should realize that and really the rest seems like a smoke screen to me. Sounds like they are not really comfortable with birds and probably prefer more conventional animals for companions, something easier for them to understand.
I would like to get a mate for each of my birds, but, My Lady is balking at the idea of that as well. I can't really blame her for that as we do have several birds as it is. But once Kiki showed up, we just could not turn our backs on the others that were in need. In many ways it really was too many birds, too fast for what we knew and were prepared for.
But back to yours there is really not too much that would really have to change, especially if the second was the same species and of the opposite sex than your first. But I saw the pretty Grey and know that you like her, although you would have to remember that she is a dust bird and that could give you problems.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions