Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:18 am

Oh, poor little fellow! He needs a home pronto!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:42 pm

Here is Haley from today. She just flopped over and layed down in my arms.

I have to figure out a way to take her home.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:45 pm

Pretty sweet for a bird who is supposedly wild caught.

I suspect that either she was caught very young and hand finished, or she is not wild caught at all, but foreign bred and imported. She is open banded, but the writing on the band is so tiny I can't read it.

I keep meaning to see if there is more information about her on the surrender form.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:26 pm

This is Taco, an Orange Winged Amazon. Seems like a nice species. I had never seen one before.

Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:29 pm

This is Marvin, a Mealy Amazon. He makes lots of beeps and buzzes. This picture does not show his massive size. He is a big, plump bird.

Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:04 am

Those are all very lovely birds and I envy you to some degree, getting to work with them and make their lives a bit better. Good job, keep it up and don't forget to keep the pictures coming. The only way you could make this any better is to include short stories or more comments with the pictures.
Love what you are doing.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:17 am

Navre, I feel so sorry for you. I know exactly what you are feeling. Short of starting your own rescue how are you going to choose one and leave the others behind.
It is amazing the trust the Grey has in you. That little being has already bonded to you but you have also become attached to the others.
I envy you being able to make contact with so many babies but I don't envy your situation.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:13 am

I just wish the place were closer. I spend 2 to 3 hours sitting in Boston/Providence traffic each way.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:57 am

2 o 3 hours?! Well, as far as I am concerned, you have a place reserved for you in Heaven! It's hard enough volunteering at a rescue much less having to make that trip every time!

If the gray is a wild-caught, she was most likely taken from a nest. I had an OWA male, he is the one that was misdiagnosed by the best avian vet in the Poconos and ended up dead because of it (I took him back three times and the vet kept on saying that he was fine). But what's going on with Marvin's beak?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:28 am

The rescue is only 75 miles away, but I have to pass by the Boston Airport, through Boston, through Providence, and by the Providence Airport. It's not fun. I'd leave earlier in the morning, but I have to wait until my bird is up and I've fed her and spent a bit of time with her. I leave around 7am, so traffic is at its worst.

I haven't noticed anything with Marvin's beak. I grabbed that picture of another volunteer's Facebook page, and it does look odd. I will try to get good pictures of all the birds next time I'm there, maybe tomorrow. I have been trying to limit visits to once a week right now because if I cannot adopt Haley, I don't want her to get too attached.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic