Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue

Postby Wolf » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:00 pm

Too late on that count; she is already attached.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:19 pm

Wolf wrote:Too late on that count; she is already attached.

True, and it happened on day one.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:23 pm

I am going to try to weigh Haley. She seems very small for a CAG. Ashes, the CAG next to her, dwarfs her (You can see his butt in one of the pictures).
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:20 pm

Most people are at work by 8 am. If you started your travel at that time you might make it in an hour and a half.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:32 pm

liz wrote:Most people are at work by 8 am. If you started your travel at that time you might make it in an hour and a half.

It's worth a try!
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:58 pm

Kookooloo bonded to me on sight, I did not even have a chance to get my truck parked much less get out of it. She only stopped screaming for me when I walked up to the cage. She had never seen me before this .
It is funny, I live 11 miles from the nearest town and yet if I have to be in town at certain times I have to be very careful of when that is because the driving time will vary depending on who is on the road, from 15 minutes to as much as 45 minutes for the 11 miles.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:00 am

Where I lived in WV I could see where I worked in PA from my back yard but it was 10 miles. 3 miles of it was a hill road notched out of the side of a mountain. 4 more miles was another road notched out of a mountain. It took me 45 minutes to get to work. In the winter my dad would put 4 studded tires on my car so I would not slip off the mountains on ice.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:42 am

Navre wrote:There is also a little greencheeked conure named Squeaky. He doesn't seem to like the rescue and has been wrecking his wing feathers. I have tried working with him, but so far he just bites me, and bites me like he means it.

This guy jumped onto my hand the other day when I was cleaning his cage. I figured that this was progress. He sat there on my hand, just outside the cage door for a bit, and then started biting my hand over and over. I didn't want to brush him off or startle him, so I let him keep biting. He bit me about 10 times and then seemed to tire of it. He looked at me for about 30 seconds and then started biting again. Hard. I didn't want to put him back in the cage because I figured that would teach that if he bit he got to go back, so I just waited him out. When he stopped the second time, I presented my left hand and asked him to step up. He did, much to my amazement. He then jumped back onto/into the cage.

I had a bunch of pinholes in my hand, but he is a little bird and didn't do much damage. It looked like I had run my hand through a raspberry bush.

I'm reminded of this because I was just trying to figure out where all these small, triangular-shaped bruises on my hand had come from.

One of the other volunteers, Josh, seems to have a good rapport with Squeaky, but I don't think he is in a position to adopt him. Squeaky is an odd duck. He always comes to the front of the cage, wants interaction, gives no obvious signs that he is going to bite (eyes are too dark to see if he is pinning), but then bites like he means it. And he doesn't bother with the bluffs or the things the other conures do, like hitting your hand with their beaks. He goes right for the chomp. It seems like he will ultimately be easier to deal with than the birds who are scared and run away.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:31 am

That's exactly the way GCCs that have been neglected act - problem is, it doesn't really take that much for a GCC to feel neglected because they need A LOT of time and people can't maintain the necessary level of interaction (if you work outside the house, you are screwed up and most people do so...)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:58 am

Traffic was too bad today. 3 hour delays getting through Boston. I turned around and will try another day.
The new tunnels under the city are great, but one accident in there and it's a nightmare all day.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic