Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Window Aviary?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Window Aviary?

Postby Saerphe » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:21 am

I saw this photo on Facebook and thought it might be neat to be able to attach something like this to a bird room. It'd be neat when the weather's good to be able to just open a window and your birds could go in and out as they please and get plenty of sunlight:

The main thing I would worry about though, is making it suitably bird proof. I feel like they'd probably get into chewing the siding of the house and the window frame. :\
Saerphe
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Window Aviary?

Postby Wolf » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:10 am

That would depend on the framing around the window casement as well as how the wire was run. Not anything insurmountable, just time consuming to fit everything together correctly.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:45 pm

That is exactly what I want but bigger.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:24 pm

Yeah, me too. More like a room outside another room and joined/separated by glass sliding doors. But I can't afford it. The SS mesh is super expensive!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:25 am

Thank you for posting the picture. I knew about cat windows but the picture is all I needed to spur me on to their aviary.

I have multiple cages that came with my rescues. I also have two large flight cages not being used. I can make the table with a lip to hold a cage up and put the door toward the window. This will also solve my problem for emergency. I will be able to put them all out the window then close the cage door to get them away from the house. The cage laying on it's side will fit into my van.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Saerphe » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:36 am

Glad my post could give you the inspiration you needed, Liz. :)
Saerphe
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:13 am

But, if this is going to be at ground level, please, please, please be very careful with the construction and the access to it (fence around yard or whatever) because I know somebody who just lost all his birds from something just like that - a loose dog broke into it and killed them all!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:18 am

I don't want them on the ground. It would be like the picture right outside the window. They have the correct lights but they all seem to cram on the window sill when I have the window open.

The window will be closed if no one is home which is rare. It will also be closed in the evening.
I smashed my foot into the dresser when a big male cat jumped up in the window that Squeakie
likes to sit in at night. The next day our kitten was missing. I will not take a chance with my birds.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:46 pm

Well, even if it is off the ground and at window level, made it super strong and with double chainlink or whatever because cats can jump/climb up very easily and, even if they don't manage to actually grab a bird, they can hurt one just by putting their claws through the holes. And let's not even go into the terrible fright the poor little things would go through!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:52 pm

I am running it by you to make sure I didn't forget anything.

My cats and dogs are out during the day and always come in at bedtime, 8 pm. The kitten had not learned that yet. I have seen only one other cat and he only comes out at night.

I was going to use the flight cages I have them reinforce them with a frame like in the picture. It will then be locked on the side of the house. The only access will be through the window. The birds will have to come in at night so I can lock the window. I don't want anyone to think it would be easy to steal them.

My curtains are always open so I can see outside. I don't no how anyone can live with the curtains drawn all the time. I leave my outside lights on at night. If I hear something outside all I have to do is look out the window.

My Aunt has a gun and I have a ball bat. If someone breaks in and I can't beat him down with a bat then she can shoot him.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY