Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Roaches :(

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Roaches :(

Postby LJ4RockPebbler » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:49 pm

A few months after getting my bird, I started noticing roaches in our house. We try to make sure that all areas are clean before we go to bed at night yet we still see the roaches. Any suggestions on what I can do to help rectify this problem or eliminating the roaches without hurting my bird?
LJ4RockPebbler
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Regent parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Roaches :(

Postby liz » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:15 am

I use bated roach traps. The more you have the more you kill.
I don't have the big black roaches. This kind we always called wood roaches and probably came in with boxes of groceries from the discount market. Since I have a lot of boxes around I have not rid my house of them but it does keep them under control. When I retrieved one it had roaches stuck in it.
I dropped one behind my stove. Another behind my refrigerator. Because they are dry you don't need right side up. You can also drop them anywhere. I never put them where a critter can find one.

I also have a bug that I can only describe as a tiny black VW bug. These guys are drawn to water so I make sure all parts of the kitchen then spray window cleaner in the sink before I go to bed so they won't find water in the drain.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:14 am

I don't have roaches so I can't really help out of any personal experience but I think I would open up the wall, put poison inside and close it again.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:12 pm

I would be afraid of the poison permeating out into the house. I know I don't have them from being dirty. I have 5 little Hoovers in the house that pick up every crumb the birds drop. They must have come in on the boxes of groceries from discount stores. They recycle the boxes instead of using grocery bags. The only time I see one is when it tries to get water in a sink. The roach bates can be put where the critters can't go and seem to be doing a good job.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby LJ4RockPebbler » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:05 pm

Thanks
LJ4RockPebbler
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Regent parrot

Postby Wolf » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:24 am

Sorry about how long it is taking to try to find an answer for your question, I have been looking, but it is difficult to find anything that meets the requirements to be safe for the birds. So far all I have found is this article from Birds-N- Ways on killing ants, but at the very bottom of it there is a recipe for ants and roaches. I hope this will work for you.

http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww36eii.htm
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:03 am

Vaseline on the legs of cages works to keep crawling bugs out of cages. I also use it on the hanging part of bird feeders. I have a water bowl under the outside spiket. Vaseline on the outside of the bowl prevents bugs from getting a drink.
The best thing I found for roaches is roach traps. They can be tossed behind stove and refrigerator or in cabinets where pets don't see them. I see little brown roaches that fly I always called them wood roaches. A neighbor in NC who has been around more years than I, told me they were water bugs because you only find them in water rooms. Whatever they are they discust me.
My spell check keeps warning me that I did not spell words right. I never could spell. I hope that it does not confuse the members who English is not their first language.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:27 am

Your spelling is fine, don't worry about it. And, yes, as far as I know, the big roaches are called water bugs in the entire Northeast (I don't know about the rest of the country though)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:46 am

The ones invading me are no longer than 1/4 inch long.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby LJ4RockPebbler » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:44 pm

Thank u all.
LJ4RockPebbler