Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Seriously Idiotic Parrot Owners

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Seriously Idiotic Parrot Owners

Postby Michael » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:05 pm

I seriously don't understand what is going through people's heads. This is a thread for posting really bad things you've come across other people doing to their parrots that we can all learn from here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-JU2eR5Gh4

Dangerous, let alone disgusting (esp 0:46-0:56)??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPIpla4PeV4

I don't know what the hell this is but it really disgusts me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gOKQlGdbws

This one around 1:00:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJfIsGvmy-I

But the grand prize goes to this one (you may be disgusted and horrified so owners with a weak stomach don't watch):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Iz0nJPAygw

I'm NOT even going to get into why this is so ridiculously disgusting but all I can say is there are some REALLY wacko parrot owners out there. I'll leave it to someone else to explain why owners shouldn't do these kinds of things. If anyone comes across any other wacky stuff like this, feel free to add or discuss on this thread.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Seriously Idiotic Parrot Owners

Postby MissLady9902 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:16 pm

I share food with my birds but not from my mouth!
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby MandyG » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:14 am

Michael wrote:(you may be disgusted and horrified so owners with a weak stomach don't watch):

Thanks for the warning. I don't think I could have watched that one while eating!
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Lucyrobbins » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:59 pm

They (people in the video) make me angry, and also what makes them great viewing? As I've seen some of them have been given 5 stars! I really don't get why people would find them videos funny.
Lucyrobbins
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby Kathleen » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:48 am

These videos are incredibly horrible.

One video on youtube I saw (can't find it now) was of a dog and a bird, and the dog and the bird were supposed to be "playing" and the person filming it was laughing and you could hear someone saying in the background "your bird is gonna die". :roll:
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Harleys_Dad » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:51 pm

Those were bad! I share some food with Harley but usually not from ym mouth! Besides doesn't everyone know the human mouth is full of bacteria?
Harleys_Dad
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Harlequin Macaw

Postby Crazy Bird Lady » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:13 am

I also saw the same video, and i think i left a rather unpleasant comment.

Kathleen wrote: One video on youtube I saw (can't find it now) was of a dog and a bird, and the dog and the bird were supposed to be "playing" and the person filming it was laughing and you could hear someone saying in the background "your bird is gonna die". :roll:

It is really horrifying to see some of the things that people will post on youtube. I have seen another one with a guy letting his parrot manouver a pepsi can to drink from it, among other horror videos.

I can see how some people would unknowlingly think that its ok to feed their birds from their mouths, as birds do it to each other. maybe they arent very creative when it comes to ideas on how to bond with their birds... and they obviously dont know the dangers involved.

I think this is a good idea for a thread, i will add to it now as i stumble across dodgy videos.
parrots arent mere ornaments, and they're hardly "just a pet" they are intelligent and emotional creatures who want our companionship. As a bird owner, its a pleasure to make my parrots lives as happy, enriched and healthy as possible
Crazy Bird Lady
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: 5 Budgies and 2 Cockatiels

Postby triplebbirds » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:00 am

Ok the macaw guys is very explainable. Look at what is in his hand. Im guessing that wasnt the first one of the night. Now no im not saying beer will make you make out with a macaw but maybe the bird had beer googles on? ok had to do it. seriously though, im guessing the guy had a bit too much to drink and thought it would be funny. Or maybe hes into that kinda stuff. But that is just disturbing. The others were bad but that was the worst.
triplebbirds
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Postby MandyG » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:20 am

There's a person on youtube who I actually respected because of the work they did with a bird with a rough past, and that person was associated with other professional trainers that I respected. This person has quite a few birds in their house and I was extremely dissapointed and angry when one of the videos showed the one bird next to a full ashtray in the house. I was livid!

If you are a smoker, that's your choice, I have nothing to say against people who smoke. But PLEASE do not smoke in a house with a bird! Besides the obvious dangers regarding their resperatory health, smoking near your parrot can also lead to plucking.

Personally I think this person should win the Seriouisly Idiotic Parrot Owners award.
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:28 pm

Smoking is a choice. So is owning a parrot. No one is mandated to do either. So if someone chooses to smoke, they absolutely should not have the choice to own the parrot. The parrot would be void of choice to breath fresh air.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet